Louie Giglio is gone! Anti-gay pastor no longer giving benediction

The President Inaugural Committee has issued a statement critical of Louie Giglio, below. And Giglio has now issued a statement criticizing gays’ “agenda.” Things do not appear to have ended amicably between the PIC and the anti-gay pastor.  Good.

UPDATE: The Presidential Inaugural Committee just issued a rather tart statement about Rev. Louie Giglio no longer giving the inaugural benediction.  This statement makes it sound more like Giglio was asked to leave, rather than his having parted ways amicably:

Below is a statement from the Presidential Inaugural Committee on Rev. Giglio’s decision to withdraw from the Inaugural Ceremony:

“We were not aware of Pastor Giglio’s past comments at the time of his selection and they don’t reflect our desire to celebrate the strength and diversity of our country at this Inaugural.  Pastor Giglio was asked to deliver the benediction in large part for his leadership in combating human trafficking around the world. As we now work to select someone to deliver the benediction, we will ensure their beliefs reflect this administration’s vision of inclusion and acceptance for all Americans.“ – Addie Whisenant, PIC Spokesperson

That is a GREAT statement. It’s exactly what we could have asked for. Yes, I’d have preferred that this snafu didn’t happen in the first place. But they fixed it perfectly, directly, head-on with no waffling. I didn’t expect this.
__________________

UPDATE: ThinkProgress has received a statement from Louie Giglio. He criticizes the gay community and our “agenda.” Typical. Guess someone has no remorse.

January 10, 2014 [sic]
I am honored to be invited by the President to give the benediction at the upcoming inaugural on January 21. Though the President and I do not agree on every issue, we have fashioned a friendship around common goals and ideals, most notably, ending slavery in all its forms.

Due to a message of mine that has surfaced from 15-20 years ago, it is likely that my participation, and the prayer I would offer, will be dwarfed by those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration. Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years. Instead, my aim has been to call people to ultimate significance as we make much of Jesus Christ.

Neither I, nor our team, feel it best serves the core message and goals we are seeking to accomplish to be in a fight on an issue not of our choosing, thus I respectfully withdraw my acceptance of the President’s invitation. I will continue to pray regularly for the President, and urge the nation to do so. I will most certainly pray for him on Inauguration Day.

Our nation is deeply divided and hurting, and more than ever need God’s grace and mercy in our time of need.

Oh, so the anti-gay quotes in question are from 15-20 years ago and they don’t represent your priorities.  So why not just issue a statement saying you were wrong, the comments were insensitive, and you no longer feel that way about gays?  Funny, for comments that don’t represent who you are, you sure weren’t willing to rebuke them, were you, Louie?

Giglio’s bitchy statement is further proof that things did not seem to end amicably between him and the inaugural committee. It sounds increasingly like the inaugural committee told him to take a hike. And if so, good for them.
____________

AMERICAblog has confirmed that anti-gay Pastor Louie Giglio will no longer be giving the benediction at President Obama’s swearing in on January 20th.

ABC’s Jonathan Karl just tweeted that Louie Giglio’s name was no longer on the inaugural program, and I have just confirmed that in fact Louie Giglio is no longer giving the benediction.

Pastor Louie Giglio

Great work everyone.

Louie Giglio found himself in some hot water after ThinkProgress uncovered that he had giving a sermon years ago in which he spoke of homosexuality as being a sin, that gays can be cured, and that being gay was a “malfunction.”  That last part hadn’t been reported much, and I suspect it was yet to blow up into a bigger problem.  You’ll recall that years ago Dr. Laura lost a TV show in part due to having called gays a “biological error.”  The “malfunction” comment was screaming for t-shirts and buttons saying “I am not a ‘malfunction.'”  Fortunately we didn’t need to go there, since Louie Giglio is now gone.

Things were made even worse for the administration because last time around, during the inaugural in 2009, they selected anti-gay bigot Rev. Rick Warren to give the benediction, causing a firestorm of protest.

Pastor Louie Giglio

Pastor Louie Giglio. Photo coursey of Jesario.

It remains to be seen whether Louie Giglio backed out himself, or whether he was shown the door.  I’d prefer the latter, since it would show that Team Obama understood how important this is.  Either way, it’s smart of someone to to resolve this now.  This story was not going away, and it could have gotten much bigger had anyone uncovered anything else Louis Giglio had said that was offensive to gays or any other Democratic constituency.  The way you resolve these problems is by nipping them in the bud – either Giglio recants his earlier words, or he walks.  And he walked.

Well done all around.

UPDATE: ABC says Giglio pulled his name.  Having said that, he could have just easily been shown the door and told he could pull his own name to save face – that’s the way it would have worked.  So it’s still unclear what really happened.

212 Responses to “Louie Giglio is gone! Anti-gay pastor no longer giving benediction”

1. truth seeker says:

Homosexuality is a sin you chop! Love the sinner anyway!

2. MS says:

Everyone’s all getting upset about Louie Giglio being anti-gay. This is hardly new. Many Christians and churches have always strongly advocated their belief on homosexuality. Everyone has their own opinions, that’s just how it is.
    To the comment from PeteWa about “a practice the bible not only condones, but actually gives pointers on” The Bible was in a different time with different values and way of living. Slavery was a common practice in Greece too. Slavery was okay at one point in the U.S. history and most of America condoned it and practiced having slaves. How is that different? Also, on the term of homosexuality, the Bible does clearly state about having sexual relations of the same gender not being appropriate. Anyways, I didn’t come to pick a fight. I’m just stating my opinion. Oh no, how dare I have an opinion people might not agree with. Well so be it.

3. Dar Win says:

This whole thing has been interesting and leaves one asking… 1. Is the Obama administration really as diverse as it says if they can’t include a Rick Warren or Giglio? 2. Is the LGBT community really as tolerant as it preaches? I’ve heard of homophobia but could this be Gigliophobia?

This whole things proves to me once again that man needs serious help with his sin, his thinking, choices, and behavior. We have a bad tendency as a nation not to get to the heart of the problem… the heart of man. And there is only one cure for that. The good news is that Louie Giglio has a greater platform now for communicating that message to a broken world.

4. Dar Win says:

FYI, The Bible mentions homosexuality directly and indirectly in the following four passages. These passages are from Jesus, Moses, & Paul.

Matthew 19:4

1 Corinthians 6:8-10

Romans 1:26-32

Leviticus 18:22

5. Kari Berryman says:

I find it funny that they excluded Louie Giglio from the prayer when the administration claims to love diversity and has a vision of “inclusion and acceptance for all Americans.” (Read: All Americans except the ones we dont agree with or ones that may cause us to lose support and donations). The hypocrisy of today’s “tolerance” is so frustrating.

6. Christopher de Vidal says:

“Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?” ~MacCarthy
    “Are you now or have you ever believed that homosexuality is sin?” ~The New MacCarthy

7. lazar says:

http://www.gaybookstar.com/?aff_id=25 register to have fun!

8. Skeptical Cicada says:

It would appear that at least one person is too dumb to figure out how to attach a reply to the comment he’s referring to. And what an insightful comment it is!

It isn’t love to believe that gays and lesbians are going to Hell forever simply for being who they are.

Being gay isn’t morally wrong. It’s actually a normal human condition. It’s not as common as some genetic traits, but neither is it a defiance of some angry sky god’s will. It’s MEN who say it is.

Honestly, I have no problem being a hostile lesbian when it comes to facing down ignorance and bigotry.

Give it a rest, Christina.

Well, if he saw a ghost…..?

ROTFL

13. RobThomas says:

Pete – You expect me to believe that somebody could be as dumb as your statements reflect? Impossible, you are just putting on an act to get people fired up. No one could be that dumb. Your better than that.

14. Skeptical Cicada says:

Why aren’t you accepting of anti-Semitism? Or maybe you are.

15. Skeptical Cicada says:

I disagree. I’m taking power. The strategy of bigots is to have their bigoted deemed just another point of view that is entitled to respect. I have no intention of giving them what they want: respect. And i have no intention of redefinition defamatory personal attacks on me and my family as just “another point of view.” It’s equivalent to anti-Semitism, and it’s time we started isolating and condemning it the same way.

16. Skeptical Cicada says:

Absolutely. I don’t regard anti-gay bigotry as any more legitimate than anti-Semitism, against which I am also “biased.”

A bigot condemning gays, by the way, is in no position to complain about bias.

17. Skeptical Cicada says:

You are anti-sin. You say being gay is a sin. Therefore, by your own premises, you are anti-gay. QED, bigot.

This gay man has no intention of tolerating insulting, bigoted, and defamatory personal attacks on my character, my 20-year relationship, my intrinsic sexual orientation, and my very existence as a human being. Sorry, but I won’t be holding your insecure hand, petting you on the head, and validating your bigotry for you. Get over it.

Since you are so tolerant, bigot, I look forward to your bestowal of honor and respect upon anti-Semitism. We wouldn’t want you to be intolerant of people with other views, now would we?

18. Bill_Perdue says:

Obama and the Democrats are in bed with Republicans on the issue of gutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. “President Obama is pressing congressional leaders to consider a far-reaching debt-reduction plan that would force Democrats to accept major changes to Social Security and Medicare in exchange for Republican support for fresh tax revenue.” http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011-07-06/business/35267423_1_debt-talks-obama-plans-congressional-leaders

Democrats are Republicans in drag. Decent people, and that includes revolutionary socialists like me and all those not blinded by partisanship and loyalty to the enemies of working people have no friends in either party.

Democrats and Republicans are like dinosaurs looking up at the pretty new star getting bigger and bigger in the night sky. You’re politically doomed and you’re too stupid to see it coming.

The rest of what you wrote is your usual dose of drivel.

“The people who voted for Obama got disgusted in 2010 and kicked Democrats in the place where it hurts the most. Good for them.” The words “Good for them” is when you jump in the air and wave your pom-poms.

You’re such an obvious cheerleader for Tea Party Republicans. You don’t even bother to hide it. So you’re trying to impress your stupid Tea Party relatives with your Republican cheerleading? It didn’t work, did it? Your Republican relatives punched you in the mouth and threw your unacceptable pseudo-liberal ass out of their house during the holidays, just like they always do. All that effort for naught.

20. Naja pallida says:

Sorry for being intolerant of his intolerance, but I, personally, have no interest in just accepting bigots because that’s what they ‘believe’.

21. Naja pallida says:

Sometimes Disqus can take a few minutes for a comment to show up… or if it gets held for moderation for some reason (I would assume meets a certain keyword criteria) it could take a while longer until the moderators push it through. They’re not in the habit of deleting anything that isn’t abusive or spammy, even if it doesn’t flow with the mainstream of the site.

22. Naja pallida says:

And the fundamental point… one line, in one book that means absolutely nothing to over half the planet. The very idea that that is what all of us should be living by is farcical, at best. This joker’s “sin” does not apply to me. No matter how much he would like to see it imposed upon me.

23. random says:

I posted a very logical and neutral comment and it got deleted… hmm… bias?

24. random says:

It amazes me that you guys attack this pastor. Is that what we should do when someone holds a different belief than our own? You’re just as much a hater as he is then. People of faith are anti-sin not anti-gay because it prevents the goodness that God has for everyone. Maybe you don’t see that he actually is LOVING gays by trying to remove himself and bring you to the loving God… Why can’t hostile gays understand this?

25. Bill_Perdue says:

Only those severely deluded and blinded by partisanship would describe the loss of 30 million votes by Democrats as ‘lower voter participation’. The people who voted for Obama got disgusted in 2010 and kicked Democrats in the place where it hurts the most. Good for them.

Have fun in 2014, you’re going to lose some more as more and more people figure out that Democrats are Republicans in drag. “The truth of the matter is
    that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I
    had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican.”
    he told Noticias Univision 23, a Miami based Spanish language station. Unluckily for him, lots of people are bilingual and the English speaking press picked up the story. The Hill 12 14 2012 http://thehill.com/blogs/on-th

You hid your little barbs earlier in this thread but saw that it did you no good. You’ll likely continue to vent your spleen that way. It’s not exactly heroic.

You’re giving him too much power. I intend to give him no more heed then I would give to an insect. Sorry about the insect comparison.

2010 and 2014 are called “midterm elections,” which have had lower voter participation than presidential elections throughout American history. However, in your alternate universe, people “boycott” midterm elections. Do you think people boycott the midterms because the Socialist Party isn’t fielding candidates in every congressional district? Or do people boycott the midterms because they aren’t able to vote for “None of the above,” like you can in Nevada? Or do you come up with crackpot theories because you’re just a crank? BTW, how am I hiding my “little barbs”? I’m not writing them in code, am I?

28. Brian2234 says:

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing
    dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the
    pure scientific mind.

29. Skeptical Cicada says:

You’re an imbecile. The New York Times reports that the White House told the committee that Giglio was a problem and to fix it quickly. The committee’s own statement makes it clear that he was unwelcome and was given the opportunity to withdraw rather than be dis-invited.

Why hasn’t he retracted and apologized for his virulently bigoted sermon, child?

30. Skeptical Cicada says:

If Giglio is not anti-gay, he’s had 20 years to issue a public apology and retract his virulently anti-gay remarks. Go away, drooling cult member, and drink your Kool Aid.

31. Skeptical Cicada says:

I stopped reading at your first sentence, bigot. You are so manifestly stupid that you have no idea how the words “arsenokoitai” and “malakos” have been manipulated. Stop presuming to lecture from your position of radical ignorance.

32. Skeptical Cicada says:

I won’t be tolerant of a bigot making defamatory attacks on my very existence. Asking other people to keep their noses out of our personal lives is not remotely the same as demanding that we submit to constant bigoted and defamatory attacks on us.

33. Skeptical Cicada says:

Why do you assume that he wasn’t? His statement, which included a new attack on the gay “agenda,” tells me he hasn’t changed his attitude at all. Do think that evangelical Christian suddenly doesn’t think you’re a going straight to hell?

I have no intention whatsoever of tolerating bigoted and defamatory attacks on my very existence.

34. Moderator3 says:

As you wish.

35. PeteWa says:

my dog’s a ratter.

36. PeteWa says:

try a google search with the keywords bible and slavery.
    this isn’t rocket science, bub.

37. PeteWa says:

what karmanot said.

38. PeteWa says:

derp. yes, slavery is human trafficking. so is selling your daughter.
    I could quote the various bible passages that give explicit details on whom you are allowed to enslave, and in addition at what price you can sell your daughter, etc. but you’re not really interested.

I find it hilarious that you’re suddenly all excited about those things that Jesus in this context, but that dude never said anything about teh ghey either. again: derp.

Or he was just a lunatic who maybe had a stroke.

It’s a choice and some people choose it? Why would anyone choose to have nasty things said and written about them? Why would anyone choose to have hurtful signs waved on TV? Why would anyone choose to be discriminated against? Why would anyone choose to pay more taxes just because their spouse has the same plumbing that they have? Anyone dumb enough to choose those things for themselves do not deserve a copy of our agenda.

There’s something to what you’re saying. I can be tolerant of him, but I don’t want to see him have a national forum. He’ll be getting enough air time on Faux News.

42. JustMe says:

So explain this, Saul of Tarsus, persecuted Christians. He procured letters from the Pharisee’s in order to search out Christians and have them killed and put in prison. After his encounter with Jesus (after his resurrection) on the road to Damascus he abandoned everything he was doing and ended up writing a majority of the New Testament, known as Paul. This was a Jew among Jews and had a zeal for upholding the law of Jewish customs and religion but turned from that and was stoned, beat, imprisoned, flogged, shipwrecked and had people searching for him to kill him. That is not some loon, but someone who had a personal encounter with Christ.

43. Dayle Deer says:

I am actually saddened by this. I applaud Giglio’s work on human trafficing, and his statement that the anti-gay statements were from 15 to 20 years ago. I would have strongly preferred that he be asked about his views now, rather then booted from the program. We ask for diversity, and tolerance, we need to be prepared to accept others as well.

44. JustMe says:

I assume that by human trafficking you are talking about slaves in the Bible? Slaves during that time in history were a part of the hierarchical society. Jesus never condoned it or did he say we were supposed to take people in as slaves. Many people gave themselves into slavery as a way to survive. You’re simple taking something out of context and misquoting something that I assume you know nothing about.

45. JustMe says:

1 Corinthians 6:9 mentions all types of sins, with homosexuality being one of them. Just because Pastor Giglio mentioned it does not make him or any other christian a bigot as many of you say. Yes there are people out there that claim to be Christians and say God hates homosexuals, but the truth is, God nor true Christians hate anyone. It’s the actions, sins, that God doesn’t like. God is love and we as followers of Christ are supposed to love others just Christ loved us. John 15:12. Just because someone says something that you don’t agree with doesn’t make them a bigot. We are to speak the truth in love. I don’t agree with homosexuality or that two men or women have the right to marry. Just like I don’t believe in adultery or any other sexual sin, but I’m not going to go out there and hold a sign saying “God Hates Fags” either. That does nothing but turn people away from Christianity. I feel that in many cases, homosexuality is a choice and people choose to live that lifestyle, but it doesn’t make it right either. I’m attracted to the opposite sex, but it doesn’t make it right for me to go out and sleep with every woman I have the chance with either. Either case, sin is sin in the eyes of Christ. To call someone a bigot just because they speak truth and something you don’t agree with is just as close-minded as the people you make fun of.

John 15:18-22 ESV

“”If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: “A servant is not greater than his master.” If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.”

46. Better yet, have him take the the oath with one hand holding his crotch.

47. TuxedoCartman says:

I don’t know about either Jesus or Pinky, but I could get behind Pinky Pie doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrXMOSkBas&sns=em

You want fun? Then just look at the comment above yours from Bill Perdue:

“On Tuesday, the 4th of November, 2014 vote against Democrats and Republicans, vote for socialists or write in Brad Manning.”

I hope your idea of fun isn’t joining Bill Perdue in his obvious enterprise of giving Republicans a helping hand.

49. Bill_Perdue says:

Obama and Romney supporters enabled the Democrats and Republicans ongoing bigotry, union busting and warmongering. Democrats have had decades to pass ENDA and repeal DOMA and consistently refuse to do so even when they had huge majorities in Congress.

People who advocated voting for Obama and the Democrats or Romney and the Republicans voted for a mad dog warmonger whose policies murder civilians and waste the lives of GIs from Morocco to Indonesia. They voted for scabs and union busters who want to dismantle Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, who approved of mass foreclosures and who want to impose Greek style austerity on working people to make the rich much richer.

We won’t advance until we leave them in the dust. On Tuesday, the 4th of November, 2014 vote against Democrats and Republicans, vote for socialists or write in Brad Manning.

50. Bill_Perdue says:

As for you beloved Congress, both parties in both houses, the latest polling shows that “Congress Less Popular than Cockroaches, Traffic Jams – Raleigh, N.C. – Facing low approval ratings after a historically unproductive 112th session and a series of last-minute showdowns over fiscal matters, Congress is now less popular than root canals, NFL replacement referees, head lice, the rock band Nickelback, colonoscopies, carnies, traffic jams, cockroaches, Donald Trump, France, Genghis Khan, used-car salesmen and Brussel sprouts. “ http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Natl_010813_.pdf

As for 2014, I’ll bet even more people boycott the elections than in 2010. Rightwingers will just have to get used to gnashing their teeth and rending their flesh. Poor things.

I think it’s cute that you have to hide your little barbs – it means you’re having a hissy fit because you lose arguments.

They were just hoodwinking folks.

AAAAhhhhhhhh

53. Clark says:

The bible condones humain trafficking? pls provide references?

54. ChrisEEE says:

Have you considered that maybe you’re the intolerant one here? Trust me, Giglio is not anti-gay, you are just an angry person that likes to attack people that you think may be different from you. Maybe you should be a little more tolerant and try and join forces with loving people like Giglio and try and make some real traction in the world. And go attack someone that really is anti-gay.

55. Skeptical Cicada says:

Better than any degree in theology. ;)

56. Skeptical Cicada says:

Right.

57. Skeptical Cicada says:

I assume you’re referring to your own, as there is nothing incorrect in BeccaM’s.

Please provide a link to Giglio’s new, non-bigoted views.

58. Naja pallida says:

The booze and party favors might be, but the extensive security, and use of public facilities is not. Obama’s last set of inaugural celebrations cost the tax payers around 75 million dollars, with another >50 million from private fund-raising. Either way, it’s still a disgusting extravagance at a time where most of the country is suffering, and the President has done very little to attempt to alleviate that. What is he celebrating? He’s already President.

59. Ewb2001 says:

These inaugural parties are all paid for by private individuals and corporations

pppfffttt

His seminary was probably a 10 day course in a broken down Nevada trailer outside of Vegas.

Love

I’m an old dog

I’m an atheist.

“Here comes Mr. Sluggo!”

“Oh no!”

I understand the Klan was big on charity work, once upon a time… provided you were white.

Love the levels—-hilarious!

Seems like there are lots of mousies wandering by… ^-^

Bite me.

I’ve read the BIble, cover to cover, more times than I can remember over the last five decades.

And in it I see a people with no knowledge of science trying to explain the entire universe — and getting it wrong, repeatedly. I see an angry, jealous deity ordering one large tribe of people to commit genocide, rape, murder, and slavery. I see cultural practices and preferences elevated to dire commandments backed up with capital punishment for violations. I see women relegated to the status of property, and daughters allowed to be sold into slavery if it’s convenient. I see a god willing to slaughter the firstborn children of an entire people in retribution for a wrong, and entire cities wiped out for the sins of some, but not all.

Then this Yeshua guy came along and had some really great messages of reform and charity. He told people not to judge others and pointed out the hypocrisy of those who do judge and who pray loudly in public, to make a big show of it. He preached love and tolerance.

Then the guys who came after him took those preachings and threw out all the “don’t judge others” parts and began practicing ala carte theology with Old and New Testament rules. And then this Paul/Saul guy came along, and when he wasn’t getting beaten up for being a rude jerk, telling people they were going to Hell for not living as he would have them all live, he was busily shuttling between cities doing what? Judging everybody he saw and finding them wanting. But did he ever attend to his own flaws? Did he ever admit he was wrong about something? Did he ever once address the sheer hubris of claiming to speak with the voice of God Himself?

There’s ‘Scripture’ — and then there’s the stuff Jesus/Yeshua actually taught. Funny how with you folks, it’s all the former and so very little of the latter.

71. Joe says:

So much ignorance in this comment.

Only if you take the current re-re-re-translated version as verbatim.

Also, Saul of Tarsus was a prudish loony who never actually met Yeshua bin Yusef, but presumed to speak for both him and his daddy.

Checking…checking… Sure looks like it! The Bible says not one word specifically related to lesbianism being immoral or wrong.

74. Don Chandler says:

as long as you don’t worship it.

And I is one. My wife, however, is not.

My wife and I, who’ve been married since 1998 and are well into our senior years now, are quite happy.

I think maybe you should get some help for that depression and not look to project it on everybody else.

Just as soon as you tell us why you believe in the Biblical edicts that appear to condemn male homosexuality but don’t follow all the rules that come directly before and after them.

I sure hope you’ve never eaten pork, shellfish, or a cheeseburger. And if you’ve ever worked on the Sabbath — and this includes things like mowing the lawn — well, I’m sorry, but you should do the right thing and have your neighbors stone you to death.

Or does your bigotry come ala carte?

I’m with Skeptical Cicada on this one: Believing I and my wife are doomed to eternal Hell because we’re not heterosexual and have been married for 14+ years doesn’t deserve respect.

They day you give up that belief, then maybe we have a frank discussion about how being gay and being a good faithful-to-Jesus’-teachings Christian aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive states.

Ooh, good one.

Why? Because a man who insists that 5-10% of Americans are ‘malfunctions’ and going to hell for being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered has no business being given the honor and privilege of being put on a stage in front of millions to offer his bigotry-tainted prayers.

Has Giglio apologized for his bigoted and ignorant remarks about gays? No. Has he repudiated his support for the scientifically-identified damaging quackery known as anti-gay reparative therapy? No. Does he still believe gay people do not deserve happiness and families and that God hates us simply because we’re gay? Why yes, he does.

Some people don’t change, not even after 15 years.

Are you being catty?

Moral opposition implies making a judgment. Jesus is not going to like that. Matthew 7:1

83. Skeptical Cicada says:

That bigot did nothing to retract his virulently anti-gay ravings. Indeed, his own withdrawal statement included yet another attack about the so-called gay “agenda,” indicating that he hasn’t changed his bigoted views one bit. If he’d like to retract the disgusting comments he made 15 years ago and apologize for them, he has a pulpit, a website, and a press operation. (crickets chirping)

Sorry to disappoint you, but the New York Times reports that the White House told the committee that Giglio was a problem and ordered the committee to “fix” it. The committee’s statement makes it pretty clear that he was told to publicly renounce his bigotry or withdraw.

The gay community doesn’t need a drooling cult member to instruct us that his raving bigotry isn’t an attack on us. Go fuck yourself.

Ah, agreed!

“or does your Christianophobia prevent you from doing that?” Why, yes it does. Next question?

Oh goodie. Another troll. He/she comes here and leaves a comment and disappears. Please come back and explain to be why I should listen to Giglio’s interpretation and not my ELCA pastor’s interpretation. Does Giglio get emails from God? Is the seminary he attended better than the seminary my pastor attended? What is it?

87. Steve says:

Giglio resigned he was not asked to resign. His goal is to promote the truth of Jesus Christ not to discriminate homosexuals. Why bring up what he said 15 years ago, which had nothing to do with the main problems of human trafficking. Its incredible how many American Leaders have been elected in high positions without putting mind to their bad history.

Agreed, but rather than cajones I would use capers.

89. Webster says:

Charmed, I’m sure.

90. Skeptical Cicada says:

No, Clinton was much worse. He’d look you in the eyes and “feel your pain” while reaching around and stabbing you in the back–with Barney Frank standing in the background applauding him, I might add.

91. Skeptical Cicada says:

LOL! Only if she can gestate a fetus up in there.

92. Naja pallida says:

You can thank Eisenhower for that.

93. Skeptical Cicada says:

Condemning me to hell is not “respectful,” bigot.

94. Naja pallida says:

Yeah, this is the one Obama decides to ‘cave’ on… but doesn’t stand up for Susan Rice, and gives the Republicans exactly what they wanted – a special election in Massachusetts for Kerry’s Senate seat. Doesn’t appoint someone that makes any sense for Secretary of Defense, despite backlash from both left and right, while overlooking several highly qualified people who are relatively apolitical. John “Enhance Interrogation and Death-From-The-Sky Drones Are Cool” Brennan being sent to the CIA, who had to withdraw from consideration the first time around because of the opposition to him. A super genius like Jack Lew for Treasury, a guy who couldn’t manage to get a single person to actually support his budget ideas over the last four years, and elicited groans of disapproval. No women, no gays, no progressives, no Liberals, no sense at all.

This isn’t caving. It’s Obama throwing us a bone again, and laughing while we try and claim a victory, when really it means absolutely nothing.

95. Skeptical Cicada says:

Has Jesus made your dick stop getting hard when you see hot guys yet?

96. P. Jackson says:

Why are you distorting the statement made by Pastor Giglio?

“Oh, so the anti-gay quotes in question are from 15-20 years ago and they don’t represent your priorities. So why not just issue a statement saying you were wrong, the comments were insensitive, and you no longer feel that way about gays? Funny, for comments that don’t represent who you are, you sure weren’t willing to rebuke them, were you, Louie?”

He did not say the quotes “don’t represent your priorities” or “don’t represent who you are”, he said, “Clearly, speaking on this issue has not been in the range of my priorities in the past fifteen years.”

He didn’t refute his previous statements as “wrong”, because they are not wrong. Read the Bible. Everything he said in the sermon is backed up with Scripture. For you to ask him to say “you no longer feel THAT WAY about gays”, you are asking him to say he no longer loves and has compassion for homosexuals. Why don’t you listen to the sermon and hear what he actually said or does your Christianophobia prevent you from doing that?

Here is a link – http://turret2.discipleshiplibrary.com/8169A.mp3

Let’s see if this comment and link is left up.

97. Sweetie says:

Is that around that same time “under God” was inserted into the “socialist youth” Pledge to ironically combat the godless commies?

98. Sweetie says:

I have to laugh that the guy responsible for DOMA and DADT is called better than Obama on gay rights by some here, too.

99. NotTimothyGeithner says:

Cajones? The President folded in the face of popular backlash. I suppose it took cajones to think people would be pleased by having another bigot at the inauguration but this more of a congratulations to everyone but the White House because it shouldn’t be an issue. They should be better than picking a known bigot, but at least they should be smart enough to not have a bigot unless they intend to be active bigots.

100. Stev84 says:

But as we’ve recently seen, they only block pro-gay sites. Anti-gay sites are freely available

101. Stev84 says:

Bisexuality. It exists.

102. No one important says:

Actually, it is mentioned in the Bible. 1 Corinthians 6:9. Pretty simply stated, too.

103. HolyMoly says:

Haha good one….I was thinking about Will Smith’s “Get Gigli With It” earlier.

104. cole3244 says:

i’m tired of having to vote for someone left of the opposition but still right of center, thats why america has been trending right since reagan and there is no hope in sight for the true left thinking people in america imho.

105. No one important says:

How much better will this country be when we can remember how to respectfully disagree with someone? There was controversy when a pro-life Notre Dame asked a pro-choice Obama to give a graduation address, but the school allowed it.

Unfortunately, their are many Americans that do hate the gay community; that hate in itself is sinful by Christian standards. However, moral-opposition does not have to equal hate.

We can see passed our differences without comprising our personal values.

I see them as a pitiful cry for help. This is a truly disturbed individual who is filled with hate — most of it self-generated by whatever demons he is desperately — and futilely — fighting. In this case, the demons are winning.

107. HolyMoly says:

I disagree. No administration would leave anything to chance…you have a high-profile speaker in a high-profile event, you’re going to check and double-check at all levels. High-level politicians put redundancies in place to avoid careless mistakes.

Most likely, (1) he’s let his true feelings about homosexuality (bigoted feelings) come out, and/or (2) he took it upon himself to decide that it should be no big deal to gays, without ever having walked a mile in gay shoes. If there’s any ounce of stupidity, that’s where it is — in Obama’s mind. Bigotry is, after all, bred in stupidity. I don’t care if he’s got a “D” next to his name or not…wrong is wrong and I won’t condone it.

He DID, by the way, run into the SAME controversy four years earlier, did he not? So you have two options: (1) He has no love for gays, and threw them a few morsels in the months leading up to the election merely to fool them into voting for him (vs. staying home), or (2), if you stand by your argument, he’s utterly incompetent, having made the same stupid mistake twice, as he failed to oversee the process, or appoint someone competent enough to oversee it for him. Neither option speaks well for him.

Truly, John and the crew are always out front on this stuff.

What?

And some of us are just playing with that sad little mousey.

Way on that!

I’m sure some ignorant bigots are really nice, like you

Thank you!

Going on two decades here as well.

It was purely rhetorical, so put your dictionary away and give Google a break. You do give me cramps, but my style is not affected.

116. “fixed perfectly?” I think not. It’s unacceptable that the Inaugural Committee has pleaded ignorance without explaining
    why their “vetting” of Giglio was so superficial. If STRAIGHT media remembered Warrengate, why didn’t they? Yes, I WANT to
    believe that, in 2013, the same Obama who dug his heels in and refused to
    distance himself from rabidly homophobic Donnie McClurkin and Rick “Gay =
    Pedophila” Warren even when they were STILL very actively hatemongering,
    would have passed on Giglio if he’d know Giglio’s full story and been involved in the selections. BUT this is a
    manifestation of how skin deep any commitment is in this Administration to
    ENFORCING his lip service to a “vision of inclusion and acceptance for all
    Americans.” If Good Christians are impelled to ask, “What would Jesus do?”
    then why haven’t the disciples of our self-anointed “Fierce Advocate” been
    forcefully told to ask how ANY decision affects the gay and lesbian community?
    “Vetting” is perhaps the Second Commandment in politics, right after “Don’t
    appoint KNOWN murderers to your Cabinet.” Bottom line: any let up on holding
    Mr. Obama’s feet to the fire only results in it going out.

Every wise and very like! I’m closing in on 70 and I have enough joy to kick some punk troll ass any day.

“it’s not coming out your ears.” Did you mean dung hole? :)

119. Monoceros says:

I think that sometimes, then I think, “It’ll be smug assholes like you who fill the gap.” And I don’t think it anymore.

Here’s a tip for happiness: stop trying to stuff that 300 IB body into a size 5 dress and wear sandals instead of size 18 pumps.

G.C. Honey, Jesus will love U if U stop thinking about ur dung hole.

Type faster before ur mommy catches u!

Right on SC. Unfortunately, I’m still visualizing male dung hole worship, but haven’t worked it into a conversation yet, as FLL of it suggests.

What about female dung hole worship? Is that OK

“It just wouldn’t be a party without comic relief from Bill Perdue” Give it a rest evilelena.