It’s the Prop 8 boys’ turn! Weddings galore in California tonight

Prop 8 plaintiffs Jeff Katami and Paul Zarrillo got married tonight in Los Angeles, shortly after the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals lifted the stay on the earlier lower court judgment that struck down Prop 8.

In English, that means gay couples won the right to marry again in California this evening.

All of this is a result of Wednesday’s Supreme Court ruling striking down section 3 of DOMA, and turning down the bad guy’s appeal of Prop 8’s defeat in court earlier.

Jeff-Katami-and-Paul-Zarrillo-3

Jeff-Katami-and-Paul-Zarrillo

Earlier this evening, Prop 8 plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier got married in San Francisco:

Kris-Perry-and-Sandy-Stier-married-finally-big

23 Responses to “It’s the Prop 8 boys’ turn! Weddings galore in California tonight”

1. dcinsider says:

These two need to stop crying. :)

2. Dakotahgeo says:

Hearty congratulations to both couples and the many more to come. Not 24 hours have gone but the vicious little conservative weasels come out of the dark corners. They just can’t take defeat graciously!! No turning the clock back now. In 5 years or less, Marriage Equality will be nationwide and there is nothing the politically/ et al neutered/spayed conservatives can do about it!

3. billylost says:

just plain outstanding!

4. pappyvet says:

And I sure wish we could be there……..I look good in white……better in lavender or black. :]

And Kamala Harris, here in CA, She and Gavin Newsom have always been friends and defenders of GLTBQ communities. Remember these names on the national scene when they run for higher office.

Keep the faith M, the battle never ends even when our lives blossom.

As usual, the GLTBQ communities lead the way in Civil Rights, medical paradigms, popular culture, sports, music and the arts. The zombies are bright blasted for the moment, but they will be back and we will kick ass again!

So many decades have passed that I no longer fit into my chaps and that white veil has yellowed, but my new suit and rainbow tie is rearing to go! What a victory!!!

9. Whitewitch says:

I had a dream that men and women were dancing in a field, holding hands and rejoicing that their fellow travelers had found love and someone to travel the very hard road life can often be with in joy. I have hope that someday we will look back at “these times” and giggle about how silly people were to think two people’s love should be judged based on their gender. We will always need to be vigilant though, as you see someone is always willing and happy to put a damper of the rights of others (women are a grand example).

10. basenjilover says:

Love triumphs over ignorance; equality triumphs over discrimination… a quote from Mercurynews reader

11. Whitewitch says:

I am once again proud to be a Californian…you would have thought we would be the very first State to embrace our brothers and sisters in their love and marriage. Congrats to all those marrying here!!! I hope your marriages are long and loving.

I know what you mean. But I’d say if Texas is any indication, it’s beginning to look like people have had enough of the regressive, repressive laws and are starting to wake up to the reality that if we don’t demand our rights, they’ll be removed one after the other.

As of today though… well, my wife and I are planning the trip early next month for what we hope will be the last time we have to file for a civil marriage license.

13. Blogvader says:

It’s almost like they’re not the deviant, promiscuous, marriage-hating people that Fox News keeps telling us they are!

14. pappyvet says:

We have turned a page for sure. And we can breath a bit easier. I know what you mean,Becca about the almost shock that is being felt by many of us. But I look at the constitutional right of a woman to her own body and the right to choose,and how it is being hacked to pieces in many places in our country and I feel we must not relax too much. The law has changed but the undercurrent of hatred has not. But still I rejoice and smile a bit broader and a bit longer today.

15. cole3244 says:

celebrate celebrate dance to the music!

16. Monoceros Forth says:

I know how you feel. Maybe. I admit…I’ve tended to be really detached about anything involving GLBT rights. My habit is to keep my head down and hope that I don’t get into too much trouble for having a same-sex partner. I’ve been spared any real hurt, living here in Seattle and not having Christian bigots for parents or friends, but I worry about what might happen, especially if I end up forced to move to a much less liberal town for work. So I try so far as possible to keep a low profile and not to expect too much.

This feels different, though, like maybe–just maybe–this is the turning point, and the forces of bigotry will now be permanently on the defensive.

17. FunMe says:

Niiiiiiiiiicho! A big abrazo!

((((HUGS))))

I know how how you feel.

19. UncleBucky says:

Well, wait about a fortnight. Then out of the shadows, emerge the thumper/fundie zombies! ;o)

Congrats, guys!

I’ve been on the verge of tears for the last four hours — probably because I had been holding my breath since Wednesday and finally was able to exhale.

We really have entered a new era of LGBT rights, haven’t we?

After so many decades of constant losses, winning feels weird and unreal. I’m having difficulty accepting this has really happened.

22. FunMe says:

Wonderful! I think the Mayor of Los Angeles, Antonio Villaraigosa, married them. Very cool!