Anti-gay Russian member of parliament Mikhail Degtyarev, who wants the Russian government to offer free “gay cures” to all of its homosexually-inclined citizens, apparently has another pet issue: the scourge of menstruation.

Degtyarev, a family-values wonderboy all of 32 years of age, says that menstruation is not simply a “medical” problem, but a “societal problem” as well. You see, women “often” call ambulances while having menstrual cramps, Degtyarev explains.

So Degtyarev is pushing legislation that would give women two days off per month during those “critical days” when they’re menstruating.

Why?  Well, rather than paraphrase Degtyarev, let’s hear it directly from the horse’s, er, mouth:

“In this period, the majority of women experience psychological and physical discomfort. Often the pain for the fair sex is so intense that they are forced to call an ambulance.” [emphasis added]

Mikhail Degtyarev

Mikhail Degtyarev, menstruation expert.

Now, I grew up with a mom and two sisters.  And the monthly visit from their “friend” was rather a non-event in our house.  Certainly no one was “often forced to call an ambulance.”  But maybe that’s just us – you know those stoic Greeks.

More from Degtyarev:

“Strong pain induces heightened fatigue, reduces memory and work-competence and leads to colorful expressions of emotional discomfort,” reads a copy of the bill published on Degtyarev’s website. “Therefore scientists and gynecologists look on difficult menstruation not only as a medical, but also a social problem.”

It sounded pretty wacky to me, but hey, I’m man enough to know that I’m no Mikhail Degtyarev when it comes to understanding the social problem of menstruation. So I messaged a friend, had her read what Degtyarev was proposing, and asker her if I was missing something.

Her response was colorful: “OMG, it’s wildly offensive. Insane. INSANE.”

She added: “It is another mechanism for discriminating against women.”

But what about the ambulances?  Do she and her friends “often” call the ambulance while menstruating?

“No, it’s not common.”

She sounded a bit ticked.  Perhaps it’s just one of those critical days.

49 Responses to “Anti-gay Russian parliamentarian offers bill to solve “social problem” of menstruation”

1. glogrrl says:

Yeah, that would probably please them, as well.

2. Rob Dowdy says:

We should set up a charity to help them expatriate.

3. Rob Dowdy says:

And the only penalty for rape would be summary execution.

4. Rob Dowdy says:

Or the 9th. BC.

5. Rob Dowdy says:

It must be like living in a nightmare populated with subhuman monsters lurking around every corner, yet no one else seems to recognize them for what they truly are and no one listens when you try to warn them.

I can’t imagine it’s a pleasant way to exist.

6. Rob Dowdy says:

I always see that kind of thing as a mental illness. I mean, there’s no way people like that can be happy or even functional in the world, they are so alienated from everyone and everything. That’s pretty much the definition of mental illness. But how the heck do you treat it?

7. fritzrth says:

Or simply more outspoken.

8. glogrrl says:

And there’d be an abortion clinic on every other street corner, just like Starbucks.

9. glogrrl says:

Republican men seem to be suffering from the same dysfunction….they want to revert to the 19th century.

10. PeteWa says:

look, it’s not Micky’s fault that every single woman he’s ever met has severe Endometriosis, it’s just bad luck!

11. PeteWa says:

just… wow.
    I don’t believe that Mikhail has ever met a woman in real life.
    go back to Hello Kitty Bleeds Painfully Once A Month Island, Mikhail, and leave the rest of us alone.

12. Sherril Stewart says:

I believe they are trying to take the focus off of their extreme homophobia, what better way than to upset 50% of the population. In other news, a cruise line dropped a couple off in a small town in Turkey due to his broken hip. The public hospital would not allow his wife inside the hospital because women are not allowed. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5499

13. zorbear says:

Where the heck did he come up with “two days”?
    :-?

14. zorbear says:

But FSM will forgive you…

15. discus_sucks_ass says:

well, after all it HAS to be the menstruation thing, not all the beatings he gives his “wimmins” they call the ambulances for!

I feel sorry that your brother is locked inside so much hate.

17. Bj Lincoln says:

This guy is only 32 and has such a low opinion of women and LGBT people? I wonder how he feels about those born with handicaps?

I have a brother who is the same way. Hitler is his favorite person and believes people with any defects should be killed at birth. People of any color and women are inferior. Very sad.

I am the opposite of all this. Thank Goddess!

Aided and abetted by America’s regressive religious wingnuts.

And if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

(h/t to Flo Kennedy)

20. samizdat says:

Seriously, Russia, what the fuck is wrong with your men? This isn’t the twelfth century, CE, ya’ know.

(Having said that, I am fully cognizant of the fact that there are more than a few of my fellow American men who are just as ignorant about…well…everything)

21. Mimihaha says:

If men had periods, we’d all get a week off every month.

22. lynchie says:

He knows the palmer sisters and that is about it. 32 years of age and a complete imbecile.

23. lynchie says:

Wide spread religious right and insanity.

24. phred says:

He has a point, you know. I’m sure that lots of important business papers get ruined because the ladies menstruate all over them.* Icky, icky, icky.

*from The Onion, as I recall.

25. WTF is wrong in Russia? Widespread alcohol poisoning?

26. StraightGrandmother says:

That was funny Jim.

27. Anonymous says:

The ol’ bait and switch!

28. Anonymous says:

You mean, leaders giving workers “free days” is historically a bad thing? What could possibly go wrong? (sarcasm)

29. Right, he’s a family-values nut, which means this is likely about women being the weaker sex, as he says (“fair sex”), and thus they should stay home, not work, etc.

30. LOL Okay that made me laugh out loud.

Actually, they could just use a translated version of The Handmaid’s Tale as a helpful guidebook on how to return Russian women to the status of chattel property.

Cthulhu knows I’d be tempted.

33. slappymagoo says:

Look, if I were working in the same office as a Mikhail Degtyarev, I’d probably use any reason to get off work, too. I’m a guy and even I might be willing to say my Aunt Flo is in town for a visit.

34. Whitewitch says:

Maybe they were calling the ambulance just to get away from him….

Menstruating women call ambulances “often”? Exactly how many women has this misogynistic retrogressive twit actually known in his life?

What a friggin’ moron. I think Degtyarev was born into the wrong century by about, oh, two or three hundred years.

36. Hue-Man says:

Next step, a solution to the made-up problem: Enforced permanent pregnancy, either voluntary or via state fertilization. Solve two problems at once – insane menstruating women (I’ve found pregnant women drift closer to the insanity line…) and declining birth rate leading to population decline. There is another permanent surgical solution that I assume he would reserve for those “non-traditional” women who refuse to be permanently pregnant. BTW, can’t start too soon. New Russian slogan: “If you menstruate, you must marry.”

37. Sounds pretty gay to me.

38. Anonymous says:

He wants to make them look bad, I would guess. Follow this law up with “they can’t climb the corporate ladder at this pace”

39. Whitewitch says:

Moron….as a woman I have NEVER called the ambulance for that “visit”. I did once have a colorful emotional outbreak…but the person on the receiving end deserved it….I think it is sad that the Russia’s are afraid of women and LGBT beings….maybe we should mount an offense during that “time” and take over Russia! That would shock them eh?

40. Anonymous says:

Yeah, what he is describing is absolutely not common. Either they are just ignorant, have a larger plan for “letting women leave” from work, or both.

41. TheOriginalLiz says:

So what Russia really wants is a nation made up on no one but straight white males. Shame everyone else can’t emigrate and give them what they want. It would be interesting to see how well that works out for them.

42. I thought all their ambulances were used up on the public they typically beat to a pulp on a regular basis.

Boy, it seems that right-wing nut-jobs who know nothing about women (yet fancy themselves as being capable of creating policy directly affecting them) are not only making their presence known in this country, but in Russia as well.

Oy, save us from these idiots.

44. Bill_Perdue says:

The same planet as the people who voted for DOMA and who vote for restrictions on reproductive choice come from. But this one seems to be a bit loonier than most women haters.

45. StraightGrandmother says:

What is with this crackpot? Hey Mikhailhold the benevolence please. If women take sick days they take sick days. To tell the entire workplace by your absence 2 days a month that it is your time of the month is patently offensive. Can you imagine the women CEO’s and businesses scheduling important meetings around the staffs periods? And teachers, does a teacher hand out a schedule to the parents in advance advising them that there will be no class on these two days because I will be having my period then.

Some women DO have bad periods all the time, that is what doctors are for. For the rest of us, it was merely part of being a woman. And for me at my age I put that in the past tense. There is some kind of birth control pills nowadays where you only get your period like once every 3 or 4 months.

This guy is a complete IDIOT!!!

46. honeybabe says:

#1 on the laughingstock list!

47. caphillprof says:

What planet do these people come from?

48. Thom Allen says:

If Franz Kafka were alive, he’d be taking notes for another novel. Is Degtyarev also proposing a day off for men who develop blue balls from sexual frustration? Those cause reduced concentration, work problems, difficulty sitting, standing and walking, extreme irritability and the need to bash other groups: women, gays, Muslims, blacks, Jews, immigrants and others.

49. loona_c says:

Hey, can I collect my days cumulatively and retroactively?