Maverick TV took a unique tact towards educating men about testicular cancer.  They got an English football team to bare it all, and perform self-exams for testicular cancer on camera.

I’m impressed the guys would do this – I’d be awfully uncomfortable agreeing to something like this.  I’m also really curious if this is just a Web production, or whether this actually showed on British television, which I can’t imagine.  (Anyone know?)

testicular-cancer-awarenessEither way, it’s an important topic, and a quite well-done video.

21 Responses to “A unique approach to testicular cancer awareness – just get a football team naked on TV”

Okay, some of ’em are reasonably hawt, but the mattress dancing guy is sploosh-worthy.

No ‘confusion’ here.

2. Oniel Vin says:

I do not want that to happen to me at all! Cancer is a nasty killer… Check out this article about Cancer Prevention and Nutrition here: http://www.shoutitall.com/2013/10/cancer-prevention-and-nutrition.html

Kill cancer and stay healthy…

3. Larry Pepper says:

This was so informative, and I especially was impressed with the Brits open attitude, no giggling, or goofy remarks, as I am sure there would be in America, but no way in America would this be shown. Americans have a junior high school attitude toward nudity and sex.

4. runfastandwin says:

Someone has stolen my pants…

5. emjayay says:

“Taking ball skills to a new level”. “Various wiggly bits”

6. emjayay says:

Well, that’s one opinion….

7. emjayay says:

Oh yeah, then why was No Sex Please We’re British such a successful play in the West End? Of course that was back in ’71.

Europeans of course are generally much less puritanical. When I was in England in the late 70’s I did notice advertising posters that seemed more explicit than would be seen in the US. But of course we’ve changed a lot as the culture changes and so have they. Thank you Calvin Klein (good) and rap videos and Mylie Cyrus (reprehensible).

8. The guy in front of him with the tat. 4:02 and 4:07…

9. jomicur says:

Gore Vidal used to say that the Puritans left Europe not because they were being persecuted but because they wanted to be free to persecute others.

10. MyrddinWilt says:

There is a reason the UK kicked the puritans out…

Basically they came to the US to practice bigotry rather than freedom of religion. But that part is airbrushed out of history.

11. Vicky says:

Yup, that programme’s on ALL THE TIME (including repeats), or at least it sometimes seems that way. It really does take the idea of “warts and all” reality TV very literally! It’s called Embarrassing Bodies: http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/. Looks like they also have a YouTube channel too: http://www.youtube.com/user/embarrassingillness/videos and @DrChristian is pretty active on Twitter, I believe.

12. AnitaMann says:

It’s likely they shaved for the purpose of the video, so there would be no hair “distraction.” IIRC, when I had a testicular ultrasound my region had to be shaved.

Actually, shaving your private parts makes you MORE susceptible to infection, according to recent studies. The hair is there for a reason.

14. Too many in this country are way out of line over nakedness. When “Titanic” bowdlerized, they cut the drawing scene out instead of the love scene in the car.

15. MichaelS says:

I love the Brits, they are so open about their bodies… and about sexuality in general — at least as compared with this country. Then again, I keep forgetting the US founded in large part by the Puritans (and they’re still here…)

He had my attention, but I was thinking of him as a ginger. The guys who were getting the closeups were no strangers to wax.

17. Max_1 says:

You talking about the blonde dude in the upper right… er, rear. @4:07

18. That hot guy on the front right can’t let go after they put their towels back on. I am in love and want to eat him up!

What’s with the shaving, fellas? Say “No!” to having smooth nads and no pubes – it’s just not right. A man should look and feel like the big, hairy stud he is!

19. inseey says:

Embarrassing Bodies is a pretty cool show. I mean, to some extent it’s a medical shock show, but they do have lots of informative bits in there too, such as this.

20. judybrowni says:

Hey, way way back in the early ’70s when I was an exchange student in England, you routinely saw naked butts on the BBC (in costume dramas of royalty climbing in and out of four-poster beds. for instance.)

Waaaaaaaay before cable, the Beeb was the equivalent to U.S. network TV.

I was shocked, but only because I was amazed it played on the teevee without anyone making a fuss.

So 40 years later, I’m sure testicles don’t phase the Brits.

After all, they tossed our Puritans out 400 hundred years ago.

21. glasper9 says:

Of course it aired John. Have you watched British TV lately? Vaginas, breasts, testicles, erections, live autopsies, a couple having sex in a box in front of a live audience… There aren’t a lot of body taboos left for the Beeb to shatter. The programmers must be worried about what they’ll do to shock the three remaining shockable people in Britian, somewhere in Tunbridge Wells, tomorrow.

This is what you get from a completely different culture without the bible belt to pacify.