Twin 21 y.o. Canadians come out to the coolest parents ever (on camera)

I love these parents. I love these guys.

Two Canadian brothers — the Monastero brothers — who are fraternal twins, decided to come out to the parents together, and film it.

The parents always suspected the one brother was gay, but not the other.

And they were awfully cool about it.

twions-come-out-to-parents

These guys are a riot.

twin-canadians-gay

Now, in all fairness, all parents are not so cool. Mine were. But some disown you. That happened to my cousin for a number of years (but no more).

15 Responses to “Twin 21 y.o. Canadians come out to the coolest parents ever (on camera)”

1. emjayay says:

All of the gay personal YouTube videos ask for subscriptions. I think they get some YouTube bucks if a lot of people watch, besides just the mini-fame which is of course very important these days.

2. pericles9 says:

Thank you, friend. There are two issues that cause me to wonder…like, where is the bit when the parents turn toward the camera and ask, “Who are you and why are we being filmed,” and the request for “subscriptions” for more videos. I’ll pass.

3. Silver_Witch says:

As an old Hippy – I promise you it was very cool to be gay, bi, or just happy having sex! It was wonderful…and hence my severe saddness with people from my generation who missed out on the “revolution”.

4. emjayay says:

With Facebook and YouTube, everyone is in their own reality show now. Lots of coming out videos on YouTube, but most of them not documenting something with parents but just coming out to the world and/or describing the parental reaction.

5. emjayay says:

Whoa John, I’m a bit surprised. The early gay liberation movement was definitely closely related to the whole hippie counterculture, maybe even more than modern feminism, although both were of course rooted in earlier forms of both movements.

There were a bunch of books written documenting and discussing gay liberation, and gay fiction and poetry as well back then, maybe at the library or used or who knows maybe some in print.

6. emjayay says:

Mine too.

7. mark_in_toronto says:

Of course they were cool. They were Canadian parents.

8. pericles9 says:

I congratulate the guys and salute the parents. But isn’t it a little creepy that it appears they are auditioning for a Canadian reality show?

9. Hue-Man says:

The reality for many Canadian LGBT kids is, sadly, not nearly as positive.

“One in five homeless youth in Toronto identify as LGBTQ, according to the city’s most recent street needs assessment, which has led one person to ask council for a shelter and safe space specifically
    for LGBTQ youth who often face discrimination in the current system.” http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lgbt-homeless-youth-situation-emergency-says-advocate-1.2699697 (June 2014)

“As many as 30% of B.C. homeless youth identify as queer or transgender, says a study by the BC Poverty Reduction Coalition.”

““There’s a lot of homophobia and transphobia still out there and families struggle with that, so those youth often find themselves homeless,” said the coalition’s Trish Garner. “That, of course, leads to
    some long-term implications — long-term poverty and homelessness — unless those youth can land somewhere.” http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/09/17/queer-homeless-youth-in-desperate-need-of-housing (Today)

10. Don Chandler says:

Oh, the 1960’s and 70’s were hit and miss on acceptance of gays. There was both acceptance and violence. I was scared to death of coming out. And like the kid in the youtube, I knew I was gay like around 4th grade…or around age 10-12, first inkling, “why do guys make me feel this way?” Unofficial coming out: “Grandmother, I’m never getting married.” Official coming out to mom, she replied, “I always knew but would never have guessed.” (humorously self contradictory.)

I think the hippies were a bit more accepting. They were on the outside of mainstream and somehow more flexible in mind given the “sexual revolution”…but ofc, not universally accepting. I also lived in a college town so I heard about gays from a more positive angle. But the police were not nice in the 60’s and 70’s. They closed down the local gay bar in my hometown and straight bars didn’t want to associate with gays for fear of being labeled a ‘gay bar’. I would go to the university campus student union and see gays attending a gay dance. That was in the late 1960’s. But fag bashing was also a reality back then and throughout the 70s and 80s…didn’t really stop until after Mathew Sheppard…and then the violence just diminished.

It’s never easy coming out to parents…even cool parents. But maybe these two brothers are right, it’s easier to be one’s self these days. Nice message.

11. Drew2u says:

My assumption was that during the hippie and “free love” era, where – I assume – STD education was lax, as well as a lot of other info about sexual health, sexual fluidity was seen as budding self-expression of self-identification, quasi-different than their parents in the 50s, but even then I suspect a rather looser sense of religious morality that came after soldiers returned home from WW2. Nothing like impending death and doom to stoke the fires – baby boomers!
    But as HIV and AIDS started rearing its ugly head, the religious right used the fear of death by drugs or promiscuity to control the populace.
    So, essentially, deceitful mis-education spreading fear cut our societal acceptance of gay people and – I assume – social equality by about 30 years.

12. mooresart says:

Yeah, it was part of the Hippie thing back then — the love children and all. My sister went to Cal-Berkeley so was exposed to a lot of liberal ideas and was very open-minded about a lot. Back in the 70s being gay in the Bay Area was pretty acceptable across the board, at least in my experience.

13. Wow, 1969. Though were people somewhat better back then about it because it was the whole 60s thing? Or only among hippies? Or actually, how were the hippies on gay people, I honestly don’t know. But still, that’s great.

14. mooresart says:

I love coming out stories. It’s nice those two guys have such evolved parents. The first person I told I was gay was one of my sisters I was rooming with at the time. I was in tears and terrified but blurted it out anyway and she said in a perfectly matter-of-fact voice, “So what. A lot of people are.” That was back in 1969. My relief was palpable and I never looked back living an openly comfortable life ever since.