Two women, in their 90s, marry in Iowa after 72 years together

Vivian Boyack, 91, and Alice “Nonie” Dubes, 90, married in Davenport, Iowa this weekend.

The women have been together for 72 years.

The local paper reports that the two have traveled to all 50 states, to Canada, and to England, twice.

I was curious to see what the comments would be on the local paper’s Web site. Most were pretty good. Here are a few:

“This story made me smile. Bless their hearts!”

“72 years of sin is still SIN. May they come to know Christ before they take their last breaths.”

Then this response: “My aren’t we judgmental.”

Or this: “I’m Christian and would rather spend eternity with these two ladies than with some of the hateful, self righteous, judgmental “Christians” on this blog.”

“Can’t believe u ppl are condoning this smh god intended on Adam & eve not this.”

“Ms. Boyack was my 3rd grade teacher at Grant School. She was a WONDERFUL teacher. Congratulations to both of them!”

Gays really have put anti-gays in a conundrum. For decades, their entire argument was based on the “fact” that we were promiscuous perverts. And now we all want to get married, which is kind of the opposite of promiscuous pervert.

So the anti-gays had to find a new reason to oppose us — the children, or something. And it’s not working.

16 Responses to “Two women, in their 90s, marry in Iowa after 72 years together”

1. EasterBEspino says:

my Aunty Sarah just got a nearly new cream Ford Fiesta by working parttime online. why not try here googleprojectpay.com

2. BarbaraJFitzgerald says:

my stepmom just purchased a stunning gold Audi A3 Wagon by working part time online. go to this web-site googlepay.com

3. FieryLocks says:

72 years together! That’s longer than many hetero marriages combined!

4. Badgerite says:

Growing up Catholic, there was a joke that we always heard. A new arrival in heaven noticed some people behind a screen and asked why there was a screen there. And his guide said, “Oh, those are the Catholics. They think they are the only ones here. Sshhh.”
    There is no delusion like a religious delusion.

5. therling says:

“…god intended on Adam & eve not this.”

Umm. So who was Cain’s wife? This is the answer provided by some Bible thumper:

“…because they lived long before the Sinaitic Laws were given, there was no moral difficulty involved in the marriage of near relatives. With Cain, the course was obviously a necessary one as it was with his brothers—they married their sisters. As we have already seen, Abraham married his own half-sister, Sarah.”

Amazing what gyrations they’ll go through to justify their nonsense.

6. Colin says:

Self propelled adventure cycles.

7. Colin says:

You cannot stop love. Walls , moats or any other form of hatred and bigotry will never conquer that one indescribable and steel bonded interaction that comes to life when two people fall in love.

8. Zorba says:

This is just so, so wonderful!
    Congratulations to them both!

As near as I can tell, the bigots’ demands always boil down to, “Pretend to be straight so I can pretend you don’t exist.”

Good for you, Rabblerouser! You’re very lucky to have had such wonderful moms.

11. rabblerouzzer says:

I’m with you, Becca, on never dreamed we would see marriage equality in my lifetime (I just turned 60, or as I like to call it, 50-10, so when I reach 100 I’ll be 50-50, which is far better than 5150, if you know what I mean.) My lesbian moms, the women who gave me a home when my own kin wanted nothing to do with me, have been together, like Vivian and Nonie, since they were 18 and students at Missouri Baptist School of Nursing. They are now 75, and I hope and pray they live to their 90s, because a love like theirs should be on display for the world to see for as long as possible. They got married the day before Prop 8 passed in California, that temporary setback for marriage equality, cementing a 50+ year relationship. I am among a horde of “kids” they helped become the happiest, healthiest, politically involved gay and lesbian people we can be, and I couldn’t have asked for better role models. So I celebrate and honor Vivian and Nonie, and my lesbian moms, Sue and Judy, for having the courage to live with authenticity and pride, especially during the dark days when it was routinely life-threatening to do so.

12. Badgerite says:

They are literally arguing against people being married and forming families. Good, solid, pillar of the community families. Life long commitments to each other. Good luck with that.

That second comment up from the bottom — it makes me wonder if homophobia often includes an inability to express a coherent thought with complete words, syntax, and grammar. Silly little blasphemer didn’t even capitalize God but did do so for Adam.

Anyway, congratulations to Vivian and Nonie. Good for them — and I’m so very glad this was possible. Twenty years ago, I never would’ve dreamed it could, not in my lifetime.

14. And they’re both in wheelchairs!

15. dcinsider says:

How many beautiful, special, and traditional heterosexual marriages have to be destroyed before we can stop this insanity!

Obviously, these two women have nothing but lust in their hearts!

16. kingstonbears says:

Absolutely amazing!! These two great ladies will be an inspiration to us all.