Franklin Graham is very upset with Wells Fargo after they used an LGBT couple in one of their advertisements. So upset, in fact, that he has cited the bank’s promotion of a “godless lifestyle” by pulling all of his money out of the organization and moving it to a more Godly bank: BB&T.

That would be the same BB&T that sponsors the Miami Beach gay pride parade, along with a “Legacy Couples” program, which celebrates LGBT couples that have been together for at least ten years.

This isn’t the first Graham boycott of an LGBT-friendly business — he previously advised listeners to avoid buying jewelry from Tiffany & Co. after they ran an ad showing two men getting engaged — and it won’t be the last. But as more and more businesses are realizing that being LGBT-inclusive is good business, consumers like Graham who want to pray with their dollars are going to find it more and more difficult to find stores that carry the ghost of Falwell’s stamp of hateful approval.

Of course, for Graham, this isn’t a sign of progress so much as it is (yet another) sign that America is inviting God’s wrath. On Monday, in an interview with Family Research Council’s Craig James, Graham warned that America’s drift away from his brand of hate will likely bring on Armageddon. Here’s the audio, via RightWingWatch:

[iframe src=”https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/209544567&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true”]

Said Graham:

Franklin Graham

Franklin Graham

I believe the end is coming. I believe we’re in the midnight hour as far as God’s walk is concerned, and we may be in the last minutes. But those last minutes may be another 100 years; I don’t know. But you see how quickly our country is deteriorating, and how quickly the world is deteriorating morally, especially under this administration. We see it has taken just a nose dive off of the moral diving board into the cesspool of humanity. And I don’t understand why the church doesn’t see this and doesn’t wake up.

And later, in words that have been spoken in this precise order during the run-up to every presidential election for the last 50 years:

I think this next election is maybe the most important election in the history of this nation, because if we don’t get some men and women of God running for public office and voting for men and women who hold to Biblical standards…we’re going to lose this country.

As David Badash at The New Civil Rights Movement mentioned, “Someone should tell Franklin Graham they already have.”

Jon Green graduated from Kenyon College with a B.A. in Political Science and high honors in Political Cognition. He worked as a field organizer for Congressman Tom Perriello in 2010 and a Regional Field Director for President Obama's re-election campaign in 2012. Jon writes on a number of topics, but pays especially close attention to elections, religion and political cognition. Follow him on Twitter at @_Jon_Green, and on Google+. .

29 Responses to “Franklin Graham boycotts LGBT-friendly bank by moving assets to LGBT-friendly bank, warns of apocalypse”

1. TruthNotReligion says:

We will know that The End really IS near when:

*** religious wacko-preachers like Graham stop renewing their insurance policies

*** religious wacko-preachers like Graham really DO give away all of their property

*** religious wacko-preachers like Graham … STOP … ASKING … FOR … MONEY … because:
    ******** there will nothing to spend it on perty darrn quick, and
    ******** by the time those checks arrive and get deposited into the Graham bank account, the world will have ended

OH, JUST ONE MORE THING … here is a description of the wealth of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association … golly, I wonder how much dough was paid out to Franklin and to Ol’ Billy as “expenses” ? Here ya go … YUP … they raked in from the rubes … over … $ 100 million:

2. DoverBill says:

Suckage as up to the Cosmos from whence we came plus boobies.

3. heimaey says:

That would be rad.

4. Bill_Perdue says:

The people who led the first American Revolution were not especially respectful of cults and cultists. Now, because of the influence of pandering politicians like Obama, the Bushes, the Clintons and Reagan the cults have grown quite powerful. It wasn’t always like that.

“I have examined all the known superstitions of the Word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world …” Thomas Jefferson

“The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind … to filch wealth and power to themselves. [They], in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ” Thomas Jefferson

“Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.” Benjamin Franklin

“The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.” Benjamin Franklin in Poor Richard’s Almanac

“I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.” Thomas Paine

“The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.” John Adams

“Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and

distressing, and ought most to be deprecated.” George Washington, letter to Edward Newenham, October 20, 1792

“…I beg you be persuaded that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.” George Washington, to United Baptist Churches of Virginia, May, 1789

“What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy.” James Madison

5. JohnnyD says:

Steal any of those, and they’ll put bracelets on you, and make you sit for a portrait.

6. JohnnyD says:

Yeah, or who say that Pee-Wee Herman was a pervert!

Just had to throw that in, the conversation almost begged me to.

But in honesty, I like Mr. Reubens. As must you, or you wouldn’t be using him as an icon.

7. JohnnyD says:

Good grief, the world is ending, and you’re STILL thinking with your dick! Or ABOUT your dick, or whatever.

By “suckage”, did you mean the time to follow was going to suck, or were you referring in some way to the “good” people having been “vacuumed up” off the planet?

8. JohnnyD says:

If all the fundamentalist Christians disappeared from the world at once, I know I would certainly feel very rapturous. Then I would gladly house all the homeless of the world in their now-empty churches, for once putting them to good use in the service of mankind. Then I would belatedly wish those God-fearing folks well upon embarking on their eternities of 24/7 subservience, obedience, deferral and praise to their God, now their neighbor, in heaven. Not a fate I would choose, as I find it unbearable to even consider for a week. Actually their version of hell sounds NICER, being more what I am used to – being forever beaten down and tortured by assholes undeserving of their authority, and knowing it, yet exercising it against the people like myself under them nonetheless. Just like home. Anyway, come that second death, my troubles are over, according to their book. For the victorious believers, well, I just hope they don’t bore easily.

In a related vein, have you ever wondered how God punishes sado-masochists? Hmmmmmmmmm?

9. JohnnyD says:

Yes, and they should point out that it was lost way back when the Framers left God out of the Constitution, and not recently. All the religious trappings associated with the U.S. That these people are defending were mostly invented recently, post-WWII. That goes for the references on currency, and the Pledge of Allegience.

Funny, that the poem by Emma Lazarus on the Statue of Liberty used to be taught as indicative of Americans’ willingness to be accepting of others, a laudable behavior which ought to be promoted, I would think. Do they still teach it at all, or has the hatred of immigrants driven it out yet?

10. alina_murray says:

☃¢€½☯✡I agree that Francisco `s report is astonishing, last week I got a gorgeous GMC from having made $4361 this past month and just a little over ten-grand last month . this is certainly the easiest-work Ive ever had . I actually started eight months/ago and practically straight away started making a nice at least $72 per-hour .

YOU CAN LOOK IT OUT……

☁>> http://jobsbucket/earningDoller.COM

℃℉°✿ϟ☃¢€✡☪♡ ღツ☼☁✎© ™Σ✪➳卐✞
    ℃℉°✿ϟ☃¢€☯☪ ღ☼☁✎

11. crazymonkeylady says:

As with all his ilk, he will harp on the second coming till his dying day, and then his children, then his children’s children, and the myth perpetuates without end. Wrong for Infinity.

12. Outspoken1 says:

What is that parable about the chances of a wealthy man getting into heaven the same as a camel through the eye of a needle!?!

Yep, “The Rapture” is when fundamentalist Christians disappear from earth bodily and are transported elsewhere. I’ve always liked the idea of “The Partial Rapture”: they don’t disappear completely, just their big mouths.

14. DoverBill says:

I’d settle for one of those Fender Telecaster guitars with a twangie-thingie bar.

Then again, my tastes are simple.

15. DoverBill says:

Putting too much money in one bank could cause the Earth to wobble, thereby hastening the arrival of the next Ice Age and slowing down the effects of global warming.

I would think this is a good thing.

Anybody know if it can snow during an apocalypse?

Depends on what you were thinking. Many Christians think they will go directly to heaven without dying. That’s The Rapture. The Apocalypse is the total destruction of the entire universe. The Rapture would be better, because their cars and houses would be available for anyone who wants them. I could use a new car.

17. heimaey says:

What’s the diff?

You may be thinking of “The Rapture”.

19. wayne says:

If the Last Day is near, I sure as Hell would not put my money in a bank!

20. 2karmanot says:

This granny hastens to brooch the subject.

21. 2karmanot says:

Well heimaey, Heaven is a place very much like a restricted Republican Country Club that serves creamed chicken and SPAM sandwiches for lunch everyday for ALL eternity. The only saints of color you’ll see there are caddies, waiters, cooks and leaf-blowers. Therefore it is divinely clear that only Teapublicans go to heaven. #godsnark

22. 2karmanot says:

“Frankly Graham, I don’t give a damn!”

23. BlueIdaho says:

Wells gets a 100 on the annual HRC equality rating. BB&T gets an 80–not great but probably better than Graham would like. He would feel more comfortable banking with an organization that scores a 20 or lower and should do a bit of research to find one. He’s just another in a long line of snake oil salesmen that scare Walmart people into giving him money for Jesus.

24. heimaey says:

Why is it always “warning” about the apocalypse? Isn’t an apocalypse a good thing when everyone goes to heaven? So why not welcoming or advising everyone it’ll all be over soon!?

If I had that problem, I wouldn’t want something called “Depends.” I’d want something called “For Sure.”

26. dommyluc says:

What pisses me off is when the clueless ones say that his daddy Billy was much better than his acorn Frankie, when truth be told Billy Graham was always a hateful, bigoted grifter-for-God. These are the same ones who say that William F. Buckley was a “sane, moderate” voice of the Republican Party, and that Ron and Rand Paul are libertarians.

I wonder if guys like Franklin Graham wear Depends™ undergarments as a matter of routine. It seems like he’s perpetually pissing and shitting his pants over humankind’s impending demise every day, and kind enough to tell us about it.

I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone who listens to Franklin Graham, much less does does he says, is not buying their jewelry at Tiffany. They’re getting it from the WalMart or on Home Shopping Network — or pilfering it from their senile granny’s jewelry box.