Dominican cardinal can’t stop slurring US ambassador

Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, who leads the Archdiocese of Santo Domingo, can’t seem to stop calling the US ambassador to his country a fag. From the Washington Blade:

Cardinal Rodriguez, via Wikimedia Commons

Cardinal Rodriguez, via Wikimedia Commons

Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez of the Archdiocese of Santo Domingo described James “Wally” Brewster as a “faggot” during an interview with Hoy, a Dominican newspaper. López also said the gay ambassador wants to promote “faggotry” in the predominantly Catholic country. “What are we going to become with such a thing, an ambassador who is a faggot,” López told Hoy. “He [Brewster] should go home, he does not have to bring anything here.” López spoke to Hoy less than a week after he described Brewster — who is married to Bob Satawake — as a “wife” who “should stick to housework.”

López in 2013 described Brewster as a “faggot” after President Obama nominated him to become the next U.S. ambassador to the Dominican Republic. The controversial has also described gay men as “degenerates,” among other things.

The Archdiocese of Santo Domingo hasn’t responded to the Blade’s request for comment about Rodriguez’s most recent remarks, and I doubt that the Vatican will weigh in to condemn them. The foot-dragging on the issue isn’t exactly shocking.

Pope Francis has worked hard to rebrand the Catholic Church as something other than an arcane, backward, Medieval haven of bad ideas and incoherent logic. Rhetoric aside, though, he hasn’t followed up his headline-grabbing “who am I to judge?” shrug with respect to the ordination of gay priests with much by way of actual change in Church tone or policy on social issues. Just last week, he downplayed the AIDS epidemic by saying it wasn’t worth discussing until poverty was eradicated. When he was in the United States in September, he met with anti-gay Kim Davis and anti-contraception Little Sisters of the Poor, but not with a single LGBT Catholic group. He remains committed to the idea that gays and lesbians are “objectively disordered” and that rights for transgender people are dangerous.

In that environment, it’s not surprising that Cardinal Rodriguez feels perfectly secure throwing slurs at American diplomats. Again.

Jon Green graduated from Kenyon College with a B.A. in Political Science and high honors in Political Cognition. He worked as a field organizer for Congressman Tom Perriello in 2010 and a Regional Field Director for President Obama's re-election campaign in 2012. Jon writes on a number of topics, but pays especially close attention to elections, religion and political cognition. Follow him on Twitter at @_Jon_Green, and on Google+. .

29 Responses to “Dominican cardinal can’t stop slurring US ambassador”

1. Butch1 says:

Thank you for sharing; I know this must have been difficult and like tearing at old wounds again. My apologies and I have the same feelings for them as you do.

2. lynchie says:

I can tell you many stories about things the church did. Important to note the power given the church when the english beat the french and kicked them out of Canada. the english only wanted the money and economy, they gave the church the people and the power over them. the church used to arrange marriages and in many small towns still does. When you had legal problems you went to the church not the police and the local priest was THE power in the town. Nothing happened that he did not approve of.

3. lynchie says:

My brother is still very troubled and he and I never forgave my parents. My mother was almost violent in her protesting the priest’s innocence. When my Mom passed my brother never went to the funeral and he had not spoken to her for 15 years or more. Neither parent ever admitted they were wrong because the truth did come out. I understand a bit. When as a parent you have faith in the church to protect your kids when you put them in their care it is hard I think for them to come to grips with the fact they put you in the room with the devil.
    These unspeakable crimes that were and still are committed in the name of the church have just been sloughed off by those in charge and Francis is no different, as if an acknowledgement is sufficient. Few got jail time. Few had to face their victims, look them in the eye and see how they are hated. It was a terrible thing in our family and much worse for the kids who were repeatedly raped and laughed at by the church.
    Here is a pdf which outlines pretty graphically some of the things that went on in Quebec.
    Read it and weep for the kids.

4. Butch1 says:

It makes me furious to read about these kinds of abuse stories and that the parents would generally back them up. My parents were the same way. If you got a beating at school, count on getting one when you get home.

There are many stories of male rape victims by pedophile priests coming home and confiding the story to their parents only to have their face slapped and called a liar! Father So and so would never do a thing like that! Why do you tell such horrible lies? Then they call the priest and tell them they are going to send their son back to apologize and confess his sins. “Out of the pan and into the fire!” I would never forgive my parents if that had ever happened to me. These priests got away with so much back then. How would a parent react to find out that their child was right all that time and they put them through hell making them go back to that pedophile and apologize to him! Unbelievable.

There was a documentary about this a number of years ago which had this very story in it and I will never forget it.

How does your brother handle it after all of these years?

5. lynchie says:

Always in the name of god. They invoke the diety as if that makes it ok. In Canada we also had the catholic priests across the arctic screwing eskimo women and children with impunity.
    Went to a catholic school growing up and i remember my brother 1 year ahead coming home with his head bleeding from the beating the nun gave him with a steel ruler everytiime he spoke. She had a real problem with the male gender. Parents always defended her saying she was just trying to break your bad habits.

6. Butch1 says:

The organization should be closed down for some of the things they have pulled. The nuns in Ireland literally starved the children born from the “unwed” mothers and called them “Spawns of Satan.” They were neglected and when they died they were tossed into the cistern where waste collected. They weren’t even given a proper burial. Those nuns should have been sent to prison for the evil they did. The mothers were indentured servants doing laundry services and “paying” for their sin over and over whilst the father got off of course.

7. Don Chandler says:

This Catholic Loon is a reminder that nothing is sacred.

8. lynchie says:

Read about the atrocities that happen in Quebec with the Catholic church running hostels for kids without parents. Priests and Nuns beating, choking, raping, whipping, chaining the horrors right from the 5th century and the local authorities knew and did nothing. I had two friends growing up in Montreal who were raped by the local priest. Parents of both kids beat them to keep them quiet because the church/priests would never do such a thing. They are a lot older, still in therapy.

9. Butch1 says:

What do you get back? You get to belong to their “all boy’s club.”
    I can think of better things to do.

The only thing that saved them (for awhile) is the present Pope. Otherwise, this church would continue to spiral down into insignificance.

With the priest pedophile scandal, their higher-ups enabling it by cover-ups, threatening the victims and their families with excommunication if they told anyone, transferring pedophile rapists to other parishes as their solution to the problem or in Cardinal Law’s case, giving him sanctuary in the Vatican from the United States Authorities touching him, they have a lot of atoning to do before a pompous ass such as this peacock needs to trot around pointing fingers at a gay couple calling them names. I won’t even speak of the horrors of what the nuns did to the unwed mothers and their children they starved to death in Ireland and where they threw the bodies.

“Priest, pull the timber out of your own eye before you point out the sliver you think you see in mine.”

10. lynchie says:

but still nothing much has changed. They still demand blind faith

11. lynchie says:

Ah! the catholic church always tries to include everyone and be a inspiration…..NOT. Everytime I read this kind of hatred and bigotry I rejoice in the day I quit going to church and listening to the horseshit spewed from the pulpit.

12. Genevieve Rodriguez says:

.❝my neighbor’s mother is making $98 HOURLY on the internet❞….A few days ago new McLaren F1 subsequent after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, $17k Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a day ..with extra open doors & weekly paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over $87, p/h.Learn More right Here….
    dg…
    ➤➤
    ➤➤➤ http://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportMedia/GetPaid/$97hourly… ❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦

He has a much better image than his predecessors.

14. Akbar O'Flaherty says:

My guess is that Rodriguez’s problem is a problem with men who have sex with adult men. Key word: adult.

15. Butch1 says:

Exactly so, Becca and to think this asshat thinks he’s a shepherd and can lead anyone. He couldn’t lead his “flock” out of the narthex of his own cathedral if he had a map and a GPS system.

I agree that Francis is much better than his predecessors.

This is what comes from Ratzi the Nazi and Wotyla packing the episcopate with extreme right wingers. There was no hope of anyone becoming a bishop under that duo unless they were to the right of Donald Trump.

Internally, the “flock” is known as the “PPO crowd” — Pray, Pay, and Obey.

I’ll join you, and use both hands for that gesture.

I have a two-word and one-digit retort for the Cardinal. Can you guess which two words those will be and which single digit I’ll be holding up? I am sure you can.

The problem with assholes like this cardinal is that they have a lot of sway among their church members. Latin America is a heavily Catholic region and unlike the in the U.S., Catholics are not so quick to disagree with their leadership.

Regardless of that, it’s clear to me that Pope Francis is going to do the very minimum in an effort to look better in the eyes of the world, but will do very little to affect actual change.

Color me not impressed.

That the Catholic Church regularly refers to its parishioners as a ‘flock’–equating them with sheep–says a whole lot all by itself, doesn’t it?

I’ve liked a fair amount of what Francis has said. He’s better than his predecessors, IMHO, but the whole church remains infested (a different metaphor, which I use deliberately) from top to bottom with bigoted assholes like Rodriguez.

21. Butch1 says:

Indeed; I watch approximately 50% of it vote in this country all the time.

22. Butch1 says:

Yes, when you’ve been brainwashed since a child by these evil pedophiles you come to believe what they say is truth. They need to get away from these deceiving liars and get into the light of day.

23. ComradeRutherford says:

He went on to say, “Now watch me rape this alter boy!”

24. dcinsider says:

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

25. goulo says:

Unfortunately, I suppose a lot of his “flock” is not bothered by his obnoxious hatefulness, so they’re unlikely to leave. :/

26. Rockerbabe says:

If more catholics would speak out, refuse to cooperate with the hierarchy and absolutely refuse to give these disrespectful boys any more money, they would soon change their tune. I think this cardinal is a sad example of the church’s supposedly notion of love and tolerance. But then again, how the church treats women says more about these priest than anything else.

27. Butch1 says:

If they’re relevant at all.

28. Butch1 says:

The way to silence these haters is to stop attending their places of hate; stop putting money into their collection boxes and baskets when they are passed and to ignore them; completely. They will eventually wither and die.

When a parish loses its “flock” through attrition they close the building and sell it off to someone else. This is a business to them and when it ceases to be profitable, they unload the huge old white elephants regardless of what the parishioners want. They just tell them to go to the nearest parish and start attending mass there, this one is closing due to not enough people to support it. They do not care; it’s a business.

The people should look at it in the same manner and turn their backs on this miserable patriarchal dinosaur and let it die off as it should. When one has people such as this hater spewing homophobic expletives at our diplomats and their spouses without any consequences, they need to be slapped down hard in a way they understand; their pocketbooks. They have no conscience or morals to treat people kindly, so it has to be their pocketbook to get their attention in my opinion.

29. dcinsider says:

I’m pleased to see that you are not buying into the Francis PR on gays. He is just as bad as his predecessors on this issue. Anyone who stupidly thinks the catholic church is going to change it’s stance within the span of a few years doesn’t understand the catholic church.

The catholic church will be condemning same-sex marriage (and gays) 100 years from now. I guarantee it.