UPDATE: A former employee of Research Medical Center, and a current employee of a Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) subsidiary – HCA is the parent company of Research Medical Center – spoke out about this case and said that the hospital does not discriminate against “f*gs.”

UPDATE: Hospital issues new statement contradicting earlier statement to the police.

I just spoke with Amanda Brown, 26, the daughter of Roger Gorley, who was handcuffed and dragged away from the bed of his husband, Allen Mansell, at the Research Medical Center in Lee’s Summit, Missouri on Tuesday.

Amanda, who was in the hospital room when her father, Roger, was taken away by hospital security and then the police, directly contradicts the hospital’s claim that Roger needed to be removed because he was “disruptive.”

She also accuses the police of wearing gloves, and worrying that her father had AIDS, simply because he was gay. It appears, following my discussion with local police officials, that she may have been referring to hospital police – meaning hospital security – as they were the ones who handcuffed Roger, only to have the Kansas City police arrive after and then take Roger away.

Hospital says gay husband was “disruptive and belligerent”

“This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care,” the hospital alleged in a statement released Thursday afternoon, after the story had gained national attention.  In addition to intense media scrutiny and anger in the gay community, federal officials are now also investigating.

The incident happened Tuesday around 4pm, central time.

According to Amanda, her father Roger had every reason to be disruptive at his husband’s hospital bedside – his authority as Allen’s spouse, and thus the person in charge of Allen’s medical decisions, were Allen unable to make them himself, was being challenged by Allen’s brother, Lee, in the presence of a nurse.

Roger has Allen’s medical power of attorney, so there should have been no question as to who was legally responsible for care decisions.

Nurse allegedly knew the parties, yet did nothing to confirm Roger had medical power of attorney

What’s more, the nurse, according to daughter Amanda, knew Roger and Allen.  Amanda say the nurse must have known that Roger was Allen’s designated representative, as they had been to the hospital many times before, and had been treated by the same nurse.

“The nurse knew who my farther was, she knew who Allen was,” Amanda told me by phone. “She had treated Allen before, and dad had been there before, dad had signed off on medical treatments before. She should have had all the information on file.”

Roger Gorley Allen

Roger and Allen

Amanda says that the nurse had her father removed because of the loud disagreement her father was having with his partner’s brother, Lee, who had arrived at the hospital room at the same time as her father.

Rather than intervene and inform the brother that Roger was in fact the designated representative of his gay partner, the nurse had Roger removed. This, in spite of Allen reportedly saying from his hospital bed that he wanted his husband to stay in the room with him.

“Allen said he wanted dad in the room,” Amanda told me. “He said ‘I want him here'” as the nurse was asking Roger to leave.

When I asked Amanda if the nurse was possibly not aware of what the fight was about, Amanda responded: “She knew what was going on.”

Nurse had gay spouse removed, even though daughter says other man was more disruptive and belligerent

Amanda says that Lee, the man her father was fighting with, was being more disruptive and belligerent than her father, yet the hospital had her father removed – and then did nothing about Lee’s continued presence.

“Lee was being more crazy than my dad, he was the one who was yelling,” Amanda said. No matter. According to Amanda, the nurse “directed her comments to Roger, ‘you need to leave the room.’ My dad said, ‘no, this is my husband, I’m going to stay with him.”

That’s when the hospital called security to remove Roger, in spite of the fact that Amanda says Allen specifically asked for Roger to be permitted to stay.

Daughter says security assumed dad had AIDS because he was gay

Amanda’s account of hospital security’s treatment of her father, which she posted to her blog, is chilling – it’s still unclear if this was the KCPD or the hospital’s own private police:

When the Kansas City Missouri Police Department arrived they asked my father to leave the room. He said to them, “No. This is my husband and I am going to stay with him.”

The police considered that a violation of a direct order, so they began to forcibly remove him from the room. My father held onto the rail of the gurney as well as his husbands hand with everything he had. The police responded with brut and excessive force. The office began karate chopping his wrist to get him to release the gurney. Then they wrestled him to the ground forcefully enough to knock his glasses off of his face, his hearing aids out of his ears, and nearly break his wrist while they took him down. To handcuff him, they pushed a knee into his back and wrenched his wrists around.

It didn’t end there. The police changed his handcuffs 4 times! They assumed because he was a gay man that he was HIV+. When they drew blood from accosting him in such a brutal manner they freaked out. One of the arresting officers was so offended by my father’s presence that he would not touch him with his bare hands. He wore gloves the entire time and to make matters even more humiliating he didn’t want his handcuffs back. He grabbed them with gloves on, then another layer of gloves pinched between his index finger and thumb as he handed them off to another officer. The officer taking the handcuffs looked at him like he was crazy and just grabbed the handcuffs with no issue.

Interestingly, later the hospital also asked Lee, the man who was fighting with Roger, to leave as well. Why? Because it was Allen, the hospital patient, who asked for Lee to leave. For some reason, this time the hospital was willing to abide by Allen’s wishes regarding who should be with him.  But not when his wishes were for his gay partner to remain.

“Allen was in and out of consciousness,” Amanda told me. “He didn’t want his brother in the room, so he asked his brother to leave. He [the brother] wasn’t calming down,” even after Roger was taken away in handcuffs.

Amanda says the hospital did let her father back in to see his husband today, after her father showed up and threw a fit. Amanda says the family is “planning to respond,” and has been talking with the local ACLU, among others.

The hospital issued a statement this afternoon, blaming Roger, but says it is unable to provide any details of its side of the story. Nonetheless, the statement makes clear that the hospital thinks it did nothing wrong, and presumably will treat other gay couples in this manner in similar situations in the future.

577 Responses to “Exclusive interview with daughter of gay man handcuffed, dragged from husband’s hospital bed”

1. Belinda says:

I want to testify to the Goodness of DR.STANLEY for bring my lover back
    to me after 2days he casted the spell, my lover left me and my 2 kids
    for another woman but now all the thanks goes to Dr. Stanley for
    bringing him back to me if you are in any type of problem in your
    relationships or in your broken marriage contact Dr. Stanley on his
    email address for help on [email protected]. Belinda.

2. MedicWife says:

Your bit about personal protection equipment is entirely incorrect, misleads the readers, and is meant soley to flame emotion and public opinion. All medical and public safety employees are required to use gloves and other PPE. It is utterly shocking how many HIV/AIDS, even those bleeding profusely, that down right refuse to inform EMS that they have the virus. Only when medics and EMTs review patient records do they start seeing that an infectious disease doctor has been treating them. By then one of them have already been forearm deep in blood and other bodily fluids. They have no way of knowing, therefore universal precautions must be practiced with each and every person they treat or put their hands on. It is also hospital/department policy put forth by The Joint Commision and OSHA. if my husband has to run fluids on me or my son at home he doesn’t wear gloves, but id we go into the EC and nurses have shredded my arms he has to wear gloves to stick me. I’m sorry, no medic, doctor, nurse, fireman or police officer should have to put themselves or their families at risk to satisfy some perceived slight to make the gay community feel better. PPE is a lot bigger than they are. Everything is not always about their sexuality. In medical and public safety every patient or suspect is treated as if they have a communicable disease. They even wear TB masks on the ambulances…for shame!

3. acornwebworks says:

You’re right in that most people just use the generic term “power of attorney” and don’t necessarily know what it means. Or, even if they do, will use the quickie form of referral, i.e. “power of attorney”

However, they also need to keep in mind that there are multiple types of power of attorney *and* what they apply to vary by jurisdiction. If, for example, you have a Durable POA, it is not the same thing as a POA. Or, another example, a POA valid in one state may not be valid in another state.

So its not a one-size-fits-all thing with a one-size-fits-all definition.

4. acornwebworks says:

I certainly see what you’re saying. (Just as an aside, it was the husband’s daughter, not anyone’s niece, who was the witness.)

The sad thing was that this sure seems to be nothing more than a deliberate attempt to ruin their vacation, as Lee had tried to do on other occasions. Indeed, *that* was how this whole thing began. With Lee (who had no contact with his brother since Christmas) calling the police and saying his brother Allan was suicidal, then meeting them at his brothers house.

Had Roger been able to get their soon enough, this might not have happened. Had the police had CIT (Crisis Intervention Training), they might not have been so anxious to take Allan to the hospital, particularly after both he and Amanda (Rogers daughter who was also Allan’s caretaker) told the cops he was not suicidal.

But Allan was tired, dehydrated, and slurring his words…which the cops took to be…what? Symptoms of suicidal behavior? Unfortunately, Lee and his sister were also there, and their claim outweighed everything else.

[As an aside, we implemented CIT in my community (about 25 minutes from the hospital where this incident occurred) about a year and a half ago, and it’s already making a huge difference in how the police respond to mental health situations.]

Sadly, we know there is homophobia on Lee’s part. He doesn’t deny it. Sounds more like Allan (and Roger) needs to get a restraining order against his brother and to have nothing more to do with the homophobes in his family. (Fortunately his brother Joe is on his side.) And, sadly, now they have to deal with the “elder abuse” claim against Roger by Lee.

5. Mason McDaniel says:

And I’m not sure people here are aware of what POA actually means:

“This legal status goes into effect only after a physician has determined that you are unable to make medical decisions for yourself, and only lasts for the duration of your incapacity. For instance, in the case of a temporary illness or surgery, your Health Care Agent no longer has that authority as soon as you are capable of making your own choices.”

If the patient was able to make his own decisions, the discussion regarding POA is moot. Then is just becomes a question of patient safety.

6. Mason McDaniel says:

To be frank, as an RN, if I have two parties yelling at each other in a patient’s room, I don’t give a crap about POA. It has escalated beyond who has medical decision-making authorization. No security just swoops in a room and takes someone down. There is dialog first, even with subject who have struck hospital personnel. I have been a party in restraining delirious violent patients. Security first attempts to get the subject to comply with the request to calm down, or exit the room. When someone refuses, they are told they will have to use force if they do not comply. This is a hospital for patients, not a therapy session or arbitration.

Here’s my take on what happened: people were yelling at each other in a patient’s room with a recent admission to the hospital. Preliminary admission orders were written by the admitting MD. The RN is trying to initiate orders, meds, gather any pertinent history, etc. The family is squabbling over who should be where. The RN asks everyone to calm down or leave the room. Husband/partner says he has POA for patient, patient is coherent enough to say he wants husband/partner in room. RN thinks to herself “there is no situation here that requires POA, and I need to assess the patient.” She seems to have asked him to produce the POA paperwork. As hard as it is to believe, charting software is not created equal. Perhaps the RN does not have easy access or permission to previous admission documentation. Perhaps the software asks for verification again. Maybe she says “can you please give the charge nurse/secretary a current proof of POA. We don’t know, and to be honest, if there’s yelling, POA doesn’t mean squat. So something happens next that convinces RN to call security. We don’t know exactly what that particular thing is. Maybe no one is willing to leave the room. Maybe jerkwad brother figures out if he just lowers his voice he can goad the husband/spouse into more yelling. Who knows. The story is pretty gap-filled. Meanwhile, security arrives, and asks everyone to leave the room. No one leaves, but husband/spouse is more vocal about his right to stay in the room. Security is there to fix the squeaky wheel, not play therapist or arbitrate who has legal rights. Someone has to be escorted out of the room first. Security may have made the call that, hey, this person seems more agitated at this particular point. He needs to come out in the hall first. Patient is saying “NO! I want him in here!” This is no longer the patients call at this point. So maybe the first person they try to escort out grabs the bed and the patient. Bad move. Maybe jerkwad brother is back in a corner out of the way. Security has their hands full anyway with this guy who’s trying to grab a patient’s bed against expressed orders to leave the room. Security takes him down. Not a time for who said what to whom when.

I can easily see a witness/family member with more info than the RN or security who may have a better take on who is in the right. But just like on COPS, whatever the niece who lives in the spare room says doesn’t take precedent over the guy grabbing onto the bed not listening to the cops.

Listen to the RN. Listen to security. You don’t have to agree with them, but discuss it outside the patient room. Nothing that I can gather started by a family member or RN kicking someone out of the hospital. Family members or RNs don’t have that power. If it escalates to security, they do have that power.

7. acornwebworks says:

I have to admit that I’m not agreeing with the daughter that the whole gloves thing was about the couple being gay.

My problem is that it was the brother doing the yelling, not the husband…and the patient actually said he wanted the husband there. And that it was the nurse who called security and said only the husband had to leave…even though there were two parties involved. (It wasn’t until security arrived that he took hold of the bed.)

That, and her refusal to check the POA, and her comment “Yes, we know who you are” struck me really the wrong way. As if *she* had an agenda of her own.

8. MasonMcD says:

That’s a dumb cop if he grabbed bloody handcuffs without gloves. I’m an RN in Seattle. Security wear gloves when handling people. Beligerent people are asked to leave the room, POA or not. My guess is the one who grabs the bed and refuses gets the attention of security, vs the guy standing in the corner, regardless of who was at fault.

Getting people out of the patient’s room is the first priority.

9. It’s a big change from now. I took care of a man with AIDS a few years ago when I was a care aide. The only time I had to wear gloves was to help change the Ace bandages on his legs.

I remember growing up in the 80’s and being told by some girl that you could get AIDS from sharing deoderant. I knew that wasn’t true even back when I was in grade 3.

10. Hollie Roley says:

Little does Amanda know, but all hospital staff is required to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) when there is hands on contact. As hospital staff, you use Universal Precaution. We look at everyone as if they have a blood born pathogen like AIDS. You (Amanda), should be happy the hospital uses these precautions and doesn’t practice spreading disease.

11. Fatty Patty Lew says:

Question: So in your world proof of POA isn’t required? I can walk into a hospital and start claiming that I have POA over anyone I wish and the hospital staff has to take my word for it?

Because that is what you are implying. Just so you know.

12. Fatty Patty Lew says:

Because Roger claimed he had it when he was asked to leave. And then he couldn’t provide a copy of it when asked.

I thought you were a lawyer and would be smarter.

13. Fatty Patty Lew says:

Is standard procedure to ask someone for proof of POA when they claim that they have POA? YES. YES it is John. You are an attorney and you should know that.

14. Fatty Patty Lew says:

You accuse people that don’t agree with you of being assholes. Then you ban them.

I’ve noticed that you’ve deleted a bunch of my comment. Thanks.

15. Fatty Patty Lew says:

The fact that you are a moderator on this site is laughable. Go ahead. Ban me. I know you want to.

I’ve read you article John. You fail to realize that the sexual orientation of a person has no matter when they are being kicked out of a hospital for being disruptive. You are failing at basic logic.

Take a step back from your anti-gay platform and think about what you would do if you were a hospital security employee dealing with an irate visitor.

16. Actually that was a wonderfully incorrect recitation of what the federal regs say the hospital is supposed to do. So good try. But I’ve written up what the hospital is supposed to have done, per my conversation with the federal agency that runs the hospital visitation regs, and the hospital screwed up. Next. http://aravosis.wpengine.com/2013/04/missouri-gay-hospital-visitation-remove-research-medical-center.html

17. What are you talking about? Usually when you write a comment about how you’re always banned, and it’s not banned, it kind of undercuts your point :) We don’t ban people who disagree. We ban assholes. There’s a difference.

18. Actually what’s bullshit is your selective choice to omit that the hospital has now acknowledged that it asked Gorley for his proof of power of medical attorney. Is that standard procedure when throwing them out for being loud – ask them for a medical power of attorney? No. Something else was going on, and the hospital messed up – they shouldn’t have stopped with the medical power of attorney, as I’ve already explained in detail in another post. Good try, though.

19. R B says:

Yes, and I said that the same thing in the comment above. I deleted because I decided to expand and explain directly to you what I meant by homophobia and why I feel it plays a part. It looked confusing to see all three of my comments stacked up right here. So yeah, I will concede that homophobia might not have been the star of the show, but it was definitely part of the supporting cast. Lots of errors to go around. We will see.

20. Fatty Patty Lew says:

TLDR

“Ummm, well I will concede that homophobia might not have been the star of the show, but it was definitely part of the supporting cast. Lots of errors to go around. We will see.”

And that’s what you wrote to me…before you deleted it.

21. DeBaliviere says:

Say what you will about him, his comments are still more relevant than 99% of the other posters on this site. His experience may be dated, but that doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant. Calm, steady and agenda-free wins most arguments.

22. acornwebworks says:

All those are nice. But this was what he said…”This AmericaBlog story is 100% wrong on so many points that I can not even counter them all. The story is wrong and the points they make are wrong. What they say is legal is wrong.”

Unfortunately for him, he retired in 2000…and so was unaware of changes in the law since his retirement. As a result, he presented out-of-date information as fact. And he argued accordingly. He passed himself off as being far more knowledgeable about the situation than others when, in fact, he actually wasn’t.

He said things like “Not sure that you can listen to what a psy patient is telling you about anything. Sorry to have to say that.” Well, since it isn’t true, he should *not* have said it. He stereotyped egregiously. And what was his expertise based on? Apparently solely on being called in to help occasionally with a disruptive psych patient…as if all psych patients are alike, all are disruptive, and all mental illnesses are the same.

Sorry…but based on what he said in his many posts, Jim Howard is not any more worth listening to than anyone else, if even that. His experience is out of date…and his reasoning is flawed. His posts promote stigmatization and stereotyping. You may have no problem with that. I find it unconscionable.

23. R B says:

YOU can help Roger with his legal fees and fines….his daughter Amanda set up a Go Fund Me page….

24. R B says:

Yeah, lets ask all these idiots focusing on this paper issue this question: How many times do you hand a store clerk money before they accept it and acknowledge it?

Jay: “I gave you $20.”
    Clerk “Oh, I was supposed to keep that?”
    Jay; “Yes!”
    Clerk “Sorry, can you just give that to me again?”

….

25. So, whenever atheists get involved in the support of a victim…the story’s obviously slanted? Why does this mentality not shock me?

That aside, those involved should be fired… It might not root out the problem with the general mentality of those whom work there, but it would at least show them that such behavior is not to be tolerated.

26. R B says:

Here’s why I think homophobia played a part. Because I’ve been there, done that and even have the t-shirts. I don’t know if you are gay or faced this issue, but it can be quite subtle and quite clear at the same time.

My partner of 19 years and I have all the required docs. On file with our banks, the hospital, our care providers, etc, etc. We carry them with us when we travel and have copies with trusted friends and relatives as well. We even have POAs on file with our veterinarian and kennel. We live in a state where gay marriage is illegal per constitutional amendment and being out and gay isn’t quite accepted, but it’s tolerated. We still get side eye and that attitude that you just can’t put your finger on when we conduct business together. I’ve had two “official” run ins over this.

The first was when my partner was admitted to the ER with a serious cardio/pulmonary issue. We were fine in the ER, but once he went upstairs, even with my docs in hand and in his chart and his verbal consent, I had to assert myself over a nurse who had “that attitude”. However, I went to the charge nurse and together with the patient advocate we sorted it out. Despite that, whenever she was in the room, she would refuse to address me and would only talk directly to him. Guess what? I went to the nursing supervisor and had that bitch put in her place and I mean put good. After that, she addressed me as Mr. “so and so”.

The other time was when I was pulled over in our leased Jeep. All of our vehicles are joint, but the Jeep was a lease and they wouldn’t do a joint lease for us like they will for married couples. Of course, I had to explain to the cop why I was driving a vehicle that wasn’t registered to me. Despite the fact that my address matched my partners on the registration, I was doing nothing illegal and he could see all the other registrations on his little computer, the cop continued to grill me about “our relationship”. I finally told him that I sucked his dick on a regular basis and if he had any other questions he could call him. That put an end to it pretty quick, but not without being humiliated and treated like a criminal. Now, we actually have a POA drawn up giving me permission to drive the jeep and it’s kept in the glove compartment for the next time I run into a hyper masculine rocco the jocko cop.

Just the other day I caught flack when I tried to pay the water bill, which happens to be in my partners name even though we own the house together. Again, they won’t issue a joint account unless we have a penis, a vagina and a water meter all in the same place. The CSR at the water authority ran me through a verbal “security check” like I was trying to get access to NORAD or something. He even wanted a phone number where he could call and verify that I was allowed to make a payment. Huh?

Seriously? Why should we have to go through all of this drama. Why should Roger and Allen? Why should anyone? But yet we face it all the time. It’s insipid, it’s insidious and it’s tiresome. More so when it’s your own family doing it. Even worse when you know that everything you are being put through doesn’t happen to your straight neighbors.

It’s clear there is quite a bit of family drama over their relationship. So yeah, I’m somewhat cynical that homophobia wasn’t part of all of this.

27. Arthur says:

It was a relief to me that the Hospital Corporation of America employee reassured us that the corporation does not discriminate against “fags”. I guess from that we don’t have to worry about the corporation discriminating against nig—-, kik-s, dag–s, wet—-s, or chi–s, or other minorities.

28. R B says:

29. Fatty Patty Lew says:

I agree. There is a huge portion of this story that has not been published.

But to assume that the husband was removed because he’s gay is wrong. That is what this article is about….and it’s bullshit.

30. Fatty Patty Lew says:

As an RN, you should know that HIPAA doesn’t apply to a family member who chooses to disclose medical information about a patient FYI.

31. R B says:

I just wonder how the brother got involved on that day when Allen was supposedly out running errands with his step daughter? That seems to be the missing part of the story. Of all the drama we’ve been having here…that seems like a crucial fact. I hope that comes out at some point.

32. UrsusMichaelus says:

Keep it up with the insults. I’m an RN. I know HIPAA backwards and forwards.

33. Fatty Patty Lew says:

OK my take:

I think the patient was depressed and exhibiting signs of suicide. The brother was concerned and called EMS. The patient was admitted. The husband found out and claims that the patient is fine. The family disagrees. The husband wants patient to be discharged from hospital. This isn’t happening so husband becomes irate and disruptive. Husband is asked to calm down, He doesn’t. Security is called. Security removes irate husband. Husband claims security removed him for being gay.

34. R B says:

No I prefer to discuss it and if you have something to add that has a rational basis, then you should add it. So, once again, what do you think happened?

35. Fatty Patty Lew says:

I don’t know. And neither do you. But the brother did get involved and had concerns over the mental health of his sibling. I guess you’d prefer if the patient just had killed himself.

36. DeBaliviere says:

He’s not rude, he doesn’t use profanity and he hasn’t attacked anyone. I’d listen..

37. R B says:

Patty, please just state your opinion or theory without being so duplicitous or passive aggressive about it. Just say it.

It’s clear he was committed and the brother told them he was suicidal But he was allegedly running around with his stepdaughter doing errands and getting ready for a vacation.

How did the brother get involved on this day? Why? When? How?

38. Gregory Benchetrit says:

I am absolutely horrified but not surprised. How hypocritical of the police to act brutally on someone whom they saw as abusing their authority as spouse by abusing their own authority as police officers!! These are the people we pay to keep us safe and to enforce justice. Yeah, right!

39. Fatty Patty Lew says:

Because he’s suicidal. He’s done this before.

But you want to think it’s because he’s gay.

40. R B says:

FPL has some sort of agenda. Who knows. Could be a victim with PTSD or an abuser himself.

41. R B says:

I still would like to know how the brother became involved on this particular day.

42. R B says:

Yep. Makes one wonder what the agenda behind all of this? Did the guy just hit the lottery or something?

43. R B says:

Well, there’s hope for you yet.

44. R B says:

NO, it was stated he gave it to them on a previous occasion for their files.

45. R B says:

Exactly. What healthcare system doesn’t have electronic records? The one in North Korea?

46. R B says:

Not just for people in a gay relationship, for everyone. If you want to advocate be prepared and carry your parperwork, I support that. But the point of what happened is the hospital ignored what was already stated and established.

47. R B says:

And another dumbass who doesn’t know what he is talking about. How did you post this? By carrier pigeon? You obviously have no knowledge of the CMS Medicare Conditions of Participation for federally funded hospitals nor do you have any knowledge of these new devices called computers that replaced paper charts and records several decades ago.

48. R B says:

So when you go to a medical facility without your ID card, I suppose you are denied service? Because there would be absolutely no file copy or electronic record of who is your insurance carrier?

You truly can’t be this stupid, can you? You certainly have no grasp of the bazillion rules and regulations concerning the provider’s responsibly to maintain THEIR medical records.

49. R B says:

Jay what century do you live in? The paperwork was on file and IN THE COMPUTER from all of their previous visits. It should have bee right there on the ELECTRONIC COMPUTER SCREEN in the ER which displays the ELECTRONIC records and the patient’s ELECTRONIC CHART. It would have been as simple as looking at a line on a screen just like his name and DOB would be listed.

Furthermore, CMS updated the hospital visitation guidelines in January 2011 (in this century) and POA paperwork and such isn’t needed for most routine admissions when the patient isn’t incapacitated. The patient can simply make a verbal designation. So really, the paperwork is a moot point.

50. Stev84 says:

The brother got him involuntarily committed

The whole story is here:

51. Stev84 says:

Still wrong you dumbfuck troll

52. acornwebworks says:

The voice of a security guard who apparently isn’t aware of changes in the law since he retired. A security guard who thinks he knows all about mental illness. A security guard who carelessly read an article and then responded to things that were *not* said in it and ignored the things that were. There’s no need to crucify him. Just ignore him. He knows not what he says.

53. Lynn Stout says:

Yet another reason why DOMA should be repealed and declared unconstitutional. Only way for same sex couples to have the same rights as everyone else is for them to be allowed to be legally married. Only then can they have the same protections, rights and responsibilities toward one another and situations like this hopefully wouldn’t happen anymore.

54. DeBaliviere says:

Don’t you have to be married to have a spouse?

55. DeBaliviere says:

I’m sure if her name becomes public, Spike Lee will tweet it accurately. Lynch mobs are good that way.

56. DeBaliviere says:

“Heterosexual couples would NOT have to go through these kinds of hoops.”

That’s just not true. ALL unmarried couples would have “to go through these hoops.”

57. boop says:

why was allen in the hospital in the first place? i feel like i need some context here, to better understand how it all lead up to this catastrophe

58. DeBaliviere says:

A voice of experience and reason! Crucify him!

59. Fatty Patty Lew says:

Recap: P1 tries to kill himself. P2 intervenses. P1 goes to hospital and is admitted to psych ward. P1’s partner doesn’t like P2. P1’s partner claims he is discriminated against because he is gay (although nothing has been mentioned about his sexuality). ……..

My assessment: P1’s partner is an abusive prick. Keep him away. Keep him far far away. I wouldn’t doubt for one minute that this guy beats his husbands.

60. Fatty Patty Lew says:

I googled it. I’m not that dumb.I’m also not that smart to know how to spell shit.

+++++

62. R B says:

I can still love you!

63. Dana Pille says:

Every time you post something new about this I get more and more disgusted. When are these people going to lawyer up and sue this hospital out of existence? It has no business staying open any longer than necessary.

64. Chip Council says:

Yes, I wish this was getting more coverage from Rachel Maddow and Anderson Cooper.