Quite likely the least effective argument against gay marriage, ever (video)

Someone in Chicago captured this video of a homophobe on a CTA public bus going nuts on some woman because he’s upset that Illinois just legalized gay marriage, and he assumes she’s a lesbian.

(To be precise, the Illinois House and Senate just passed a bill legalizing gay marriage. The governor has promised to sign it, but hasn’t yet, and marriages will begin next June.)

cta-bus-homphobie

I have to say, I’m rather impressed with the reaction from the people on the bus. It’s a bunch of regular-guy blue collar Chicagoans, and not a person defends the anti-gay bigot. Rather, several people defend the woman he’s verbally attacking.

(h/t Towleroad)

CyberDisobedience on Substack | @aravosis | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn. John Aravosis is the Executive Editor of AMERICAblog, which he founded in 2004. He has a joint law degree (JD) and masters in Foreign Service from Georgetown; and has worked in the US Senate, World Bank, Children's Defense Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, and as a stringer for the Economist. He is a frequent TV pundit, having appeared on the O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, World News Tonight, Nightline, AM Joy & Reliable Sources, among others. John lives in Washington, DC. .

40 Responses to “Quite likely the least effective argument against gay marriage, ever (video)”

1. Jose Soto says:

She should have ‘stand her ground’… if you know what I mean.

Good point.

But the best policy (if possible) is to have the police meet the bus and kick the offender to the curb into the arms of a waiting cop.

Of course that’s not always possible. In that case, it’s best to consider self-preservation and let it go.

3. Maria Wang says:

it’s cause of all those stories you hear about bus drivers getting attacked and end up in the hospital.

4. Maria Wang says:

the amount of hate is amazing. What’s his problem

5. Anonymous says:

And those with an income of over 7 figs just manipulate the underlings.

Momma needs a new pair of shoes.

7. cleos_mom says:

That pretty much sums up his ‘opinions’ the few of them that were coherent.

8. cleos_mom says:

A certain challenge in the way of mental balance is nevertheless obligatory for any GOP voter possessing an income under 7 figures.

Yeah, they shouldn’t have to be bouncers, but sadly, some do wind up in that role.

We could theorize all day as to why the U.S. has a problem with manners and such. I really don’t know. I don’t get exposed to public transit these days, where I run into it is while driving. It’s amazing what some people think is acceptable when piloting a two-ton hunk of metal down the highway.

10. richardgrabman says:

Since when are bus drivers expected to be bouncers? I lived in Mexico City for several years, where our public transit is much, much more crowded than Chicago, and never saw any behavior like this… there is a lot of tolerance for eccentricity in Mexico City, but not for anti-social behavior. This has more to do with the U.S. tendency to tolerate bad manners (maybe as “political speech” or just the U.S. belief in individualism) than anything specifically homophobic.

Always carry a can of biting, burning pepper spray.

12. Badgerite says:

I kinda don’t think he votes. It’s a hunch.

13. Bill_Perdue says:

Anti-LGBT violence always escalates when marriage equality and our rights are in the public eye.

14. Naja pallida says:

People like him just never stop trying to soak cash from the gullible and ignorant.

15. kwd says:

I’d have told him to sit down, shut up, and finish his 40oz malt liquor.
    But then the story would be about me, the white racist, oppressing the vociferous black man who was merely expressing his First Amendment rights to free speech. lol
    I joke.
    But in all seriousness, let this serve as a reminder that bigotry comes in all colors. Kudos to the woman for not losing her temper.

Al they have to say is : “Catholic School.”

17. slappymagoo says:

I don’t know if that’s a “homophobe” so much as a “crazy person saying homophobic things.” I get the feeling if he saw a young girl wearing silly spring antennae on her head, he’d shout that the impending alien invasion is no laughing matter and we gotta get right by God before the Venutians come to f*ck us up the a**.

18. AnitaMann says:

True. I saw this often when I lived there. On the other hand, for every ten crazy screaming rants you get to see one hot couple having public sex (red line, late nights).

Oy, that’d never fly here. I live in Northeastern Wisconsin, and it’s a different world here. Most of the bus drivers here are really pretty decent, but they don’t take crap.

I’ve seen a few bus drivers here pay the fare of someone who is genuinely down on their luck. But if you get belligerent, kindness goes away rather quickly.

20. Monoceros Forth says:

I can’t speak for Chicago but I can say that Seattle bus drivers are rather toothless here; I’ve never seen more than ineffectual remonstration from one, even when dealing with passengers bulling their way onto the bus without paying.

21. flatcher says:

In all the years I’ve used Chicago public transportation in Chicago I remember seeing only three disruptions by loudmouths. The only one that the bus driver did anything about was a fellow who climbed onto the rear door and refused to pay his fare and made an expletive-laden tirade at the driver daring him to make him pay. So the driver twisted his arm around his back and tossed back out the rear door. And there was the racist who on a bus where half the passengers were black screamed insults at blacks until a particularly tall black man put hands on the racist’s shoulders, lifted him from the floor and carried him off the bus. Through the window I could see the black fellow shaking his finger at the racist like he was lecturing him and the racist, his faced whiter than before, climbed back on the bus and haltingly demanded the bus driver why he didn’t come out to help him. “It was your big mouth,” the driver replied. And the rest of the ride was relatively quiet.

22. ninabryant95 says:

Since I started
    with my online business I earn $62 every 15 minutes. It sounds unbelievable
    but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t read http://www.bar29.cℴℳ

23. Jon Clem says:

What an asshole that Bus Driver was. Here’s a Bus Driver making fun of passengers in LA.

“Excuse me, Senator Cruz? Iowa is that-a-way.” (*points west*) “They’ve legalized same-sex marriage too though, so you might want to double up on your blood pressure medication.”

25. Anonymous says:

Helping them get better would also cut the number of Republicans.

Thanks to Ronald Reagan and his cuts to the mental health care system (such as it was), these guys are allowed to roam the streets.

What I don’t understand is why the driver didn’t immediately pull the bus over and kick his ass to the curb. He was clearly not right, disturbing the other riders and were there another person in the same state of mind, there could have been a nasty fight.

But then again, this is Chicago, they let a lot of things pass there. I know, I used to live there. Where I now live, he would have gotten one warning. If he didn’t comply, the driver would have radioed in to the dispatcher, had the police meet the bus, and this guy would have been hauled off to jail, and then the county mental health center for evaluation. The rest of the riders would have given the driver a round of applause, too.

28. benb says:

Ken Cuccinelli lost the election….what’s he doing fundraising?

29. Anonymous says:

In today’s world it’s okay to be mentally ill, as long as you hate the right people.

30. cole3244 says:

bigotry (stupidity) comes in all sizes and colors.

31. kevinbgoode says:

I’m always intrigued by allegedly “straight” men who claim to know every intricate detail about the physical relationships between gay people. But just ask them how or where they learned so much about intimate same-sex relations and they suddenly get quiet. . .

32. Badgerite says:

I’d have to say, the guy seems disturbed. Many problems beyond his anti gay bigotry.

33. Drew2u says:

Ever since I discovered Mitswua in Algonquin a couple years ago, that’s been my mandatory go-to stop whenever I visit that general area. The Hippo House bakery inside is delicious!

34. Drew2u says:

I haven’t had much experience with the public transportation but what I have used, I don’t have any qualms with. Were I able to think in terms of time, connections, and fares, I wouldn’t mind using it more.
    (though the one and only cab ride I took involved the driver talking on his cell phone in one hand, eating lunch with the other, driving with his knees, and the air conditioning for the back seat being a vacuum cleaner hose from the front dash through the plexiglass separating the seats)

35. vickif says:

O’Hare Field is as close to Chicago as I get. I use to love going downtown the day after Thanksgiving but now I don’t even do that.

36. AndyinChicago says:

For the most part, our public transit is great. I’ve only had a few weird occurrences like this.

37. Drew2u says:

That’s why I drive when I go to Chicago
    oh-wait-expensive-parking-meters

38. AndyinChicago says:

When doesn’t this happen on the CTA? I love our buses and trains, but there are some crazies. I remember listening to a rant about Rahm Emanuel after his election on the red line about how Chicago was “…a Jesus town.” and that we didn’t need any of his “…Jew money.” Crazy people on the trains and buses just kinda happens.

39. 2patricius2 says:

He had a bottle in a bag in his hand. He took a drink while ranting. Looks like he was drunk.

40. heimaey says:

This guy clearly needs his meds.